Tumbling triplets

Elizabeth%2C+Madeline+and+Veronica+VanBuskirk+pose+for+a+picture+between+events+at+a+home+gymnastics+meet.+Home+gymnastics+meets+are+hosted+at+Noblesville+East+Middle+School.+

Photo by Photo by K. Hall

Elizabeth, Madeline and Veronica VanBuskirk pose for a picture between events at a home gymnastics meet. Home gymnastics meets are hosted at Noblesville East Middle School.

Kassidy Hall, Features Editor

The first time the VanBuskirk sisters walked onto a sports field together, it was for a t-ball game. The triplets were five years old, and their team name was “Pipsqueaks.”

Today, Elizabeth, Madeline and Veronica VanBuskirk or more commonly known as Ellie, Maddie and Ronnie are seniors and are competing together for the last time. The sisters are in their fourth year on the NHS varsity gymnastics team and will finish their final season in March.

The triplets’ parents, Lori and Brian Vanbuskirk, introduced their daughters to sports when the girls were young.

“We signed them up for sports as a way to socialize with other kids,” Lori said. “We knew that sports are often a lifelong passion, a healthy hobby and a great way to get to know people, learn to work as a team and gain discipline and self confidence.”

Growing up, the VanBuskirk triplets participated in a large number of sports including t-ball, soccer, baseball, softball, cheer, karate, tennis, ice skating, gymnastics and dance. The girls often found themselves practicing and competing together.

“It’s nice to have your sisters with you in everything you do,” Maddie said. “We are with each other a lot, but when we practice we focus on ourselves more. Being an athlete takes a lot of mental strength, and they can provide encouragement and understanding in a way teammate or coach can’t.”

After many years of various athletic seasons, gymnastics remains the one sport the sisters continue to share.

“We all started gymnastics when were about 8 or 9, although Ronnie started before Maddie and I did,” Ellie said. “I think I stayed with gymnastics because it’s a sport that’s constantly evolving. There is always something new to learn.”

Both professionally and recreationally, gymnastic meets are segmented into four events, where athletes place individually while gathering points for the team score.

“Gymnastics is a combination of a team and individual sport,” Ronnie said. “Although you compete individually, your team is always relying on you to perform. Also, in gymnastics, there is always that potential to get better. A skill can always be added with an extra twist or flip. There is always a new challenge.”

Before they began high school gymnastics, the girls spent an average of sixteen hours a week practicing year-round at the club level.

“They were on a competitive club gymnastics team for several years in late elementary and middle school before they transitioned to the NHS team,” Lori said. “They are fortunate enough to have never been seriously injured, which is rare in gymnastics. It has been a sport that teaches discipline and time management.”

According to Lori, having three kids involved in many activities has kept the family busy, but sports has also become a way for the family to grow closer.  

“My parents have been amazing,” Ellie said. “They always support us as athletes and come to our meets. They’ve become a real presence for the team. My mom does a lot of extra things like decorating our locker room before big meets. My dad announces at all of our home meets, and has even been asked to announce at some of our away meets this year.”

Ronnie, who also cheers and plays tennis for the school, says she enjoys being one of two captains for this year’s gymnastics team.

“Esma Taylor and I are the captains for this year’s gymnastics team,” Ronnie said. “At the beginning of the season, our team took a vote and the two of us were elected. Overall, leadership is our main role, making sure the rest of the team knows what to wear, what times to be at competitions, send reminders, and to keep the attitude of the entire team positive and upbeat.”

The NHS varsity gymnastics team consists of thirteen athletes and four team managers, under the supervision of head coach Jody Ramey and assistant coach Megan Huff.

“It has been a great honor and a joy to coach all three VanBuskirks,” Ramey said. “All three of them have different events that they excel on. For example, Ellie is strongest on balance beam and floor. Ronnie is the best as bars and is also great on vault. Maddie’s strongest event is bars and is very good at vault.”

The team has several meets throughout the months of January and February, but faces smaller crowds than most sports.

“I would say our team is under-appreciated,” Ellie said. “It doesn’t get much recognition, and it’s a little dissatisfying that, as a varsity team, we have to practice at the middle school instead of the high school. Everyone I talk to doesn’t even know we have a gymnastics team unless I, or another teammate, have told them about it before.”

The future athletic career of each of the girls is uncertain, but the triplets look forward to completing their gymnastics season together before they graduate in the spring.

“All three of the VanBuskirks are very dedicated to our program and their presence will certainly be missed in future years,” Ramey said. “The team and myself are going to miss them greatly. They will leave a legacy on this team for more than just being triplets; they will be remembered for being outstanding leaders and great gymnasts.”

With the end of the gymnastics season quickly approaching, the sisters say leaving the team will be bittersweet.  

“I’m really sad this is our last year competing together,” Maddie said. “Being on a team with each other is something I never thought of as something I’d miss until this year. Now that this our last year even living together regularly, I try to value my time with them as much as possible. Being on this team with them for the last four years is something I’m going to miss.”