Miller girls dance finishes 2nd and 3rd

Quinn Schlegel, Editor-in-chief

Sporting black and gold, hair up and down, show make up loud and ready for over 400 fans in the crowd watching every move, NHS’s very own took the Munster gym floor, “Judges are you ready? Noblesville high school Miller Girls, are you ready? You may now take the floor and compete in the varsity 3A Pom/Hip-hop competitions,” said the host of the event. On January 24 the miller girls dance team competed at Munster high school in both hip-hop, and pom performances. The girls placed 3rd in hip-hop and 2nd in pom. In hip-hop they finished behind Caroll high school and Homestead high school, in pom they finished only behind Caroll.

“I thought we did fine, it could have been better, but I think that as a team we didn’t perform to our full potential,” Junior Kinsey Browning commented.

With only three competitions under their belt the girls have improved by leaps and bounds since the start of year, and not having been a competition team in four years always makes the first year back a true test. As the season goes on however, the girls may have hit a mental wall due to practicing four days a week for two and a half hours since the beginning of last June.

“We all put in the practice time and effort during the week, one thing I think that is holding us back, and that we should change is our mental attitude. It shouldn’t be trying to get through the week, but rather looking to win during the weekend competitions,” Browning stated.

The next dance competition will commence at Mount Vernon high school on February 7. The girls look to pass both Caroll and Homestead, and have been focusing mostly on pom in practice. With kipups, head springs, hand stands and toe touches all thrown into each of the two minute routines a lot goes on in one dance, but that doesn’t intimidate the girls, and it certainly makes for a great show that results in a high energy performance.