Simmons named new skipper

Connor Mills, staff writer

“It’s humbling.” were the first words.

A new era of Noblesville football was born Tuesday evening. Students, faculty, and members of the community were all in attendance at the Noblesville School Board meeting to see who would be taking the team in a new direction.

Jason Simmons was the man for the job.

Simmons is a familiar face at Noblesville High School. He has served as the offensive coordinator under the former head coach Lance Scheib, while also carrying out his duties as the dean of students.

Simmons attended high school at Roncalli High School where he was a three year letter winner and team captain on a state championship football team. He furthered his playing career in Oxford at Miami University.

He started his coaching career in 1999 as an assistant at Hamilton Heights High School. He would coach there for six years before moving on to Ben Davis as an offensive coordinator

Following his three year stint at Ben Davis, he returned to Hamilton Heights to take the head coaching gig. In two years he lead the Huskies to a pair of conference titles, a sectional championship and a 21-4 record.

He announced his resignation before the 2011 season, returning to Ben Davis to pursue a position as assistant athletic director.

Simmons and his family have lived in Noblesville for eight years. And when an offensive coordinator vacancy came up at Noblesville, Simmons jumped at the opportunity.

Three years later when the head coaching job opened up, he did the same. He jumped at the chance to be the head man.

“This job means the world to me because it’s home for our family,” Simmons said.

As for the players, they’re just as excited.

“He’s the man for the job, he’s very disciplined and he’s going to change our program and make us better,” junior running back Chandler Hurst said.

“I think he is a guy of great character and will do a fantastic job as the new head coach,” junior linebacker Grant Bullard said.

Simmons will waste no time turning this program in the right direction,

“The honeymoon is over for me, it’s time to get to work.” Simmons said.

additional reporting by Taylor Crowe