Running through record books

Freshman Maria Anderson jumps during one of her indoor track meets. Anderson has already broken the school record in the  long jump.

Photo by D. Elliott

Freshman Maria Anderson jumps during one of her indoor track meets. Anderson has already broken the school record in the long jump.

Danielle Elliott, Staff Writer

Maria Anderson broke three of NHS’s indoor track records this year and she’s only a freshman

When the gun goes off, you run. You push your legs to move faster than the person next to you. You go until you reach the finish line. Then you do it all over again.

Freshman Maria Anderson has been running track and cross country since she was  in third grade. And in her first year of high school, she has already begun to break school records.

“She’s already set some indoor freshman records: 400, 200, long jump—everything she’s run and participated in,” girls track coach Dennis Scheele said.

Anderson broke the school’s indoor mid-distance 400 meter record in 58.2 seconds and the sprint 200 meter record in 25.7 seconds.

Many people are lucky to have broken a single record by the time they graduate. However, Anderson is already working on breaking a fourth mark this school year.

“She has positioned herself to set our oldest record, which is the [outdoor] 400 meter dash,” Scheele said. “That’s a really old record. Candace Canady holds it, but it’s way back in the 70s.”

Anderson practices Monday through Friday with the track team as well as Saturday’s on her own time. Her coaches note her  hard work and determination.

“I stay motivated to keep running by making goals in my head and working to beat them. And once I have accomplished them, I set new goals and keep working my hardest,” Anderson said.

Setting and reaching goals is why Anderson continues to run.

“Once I break a record, that is just a new goal for me to improve and a new goal for others to shoot for,” Anderson said.

Setting goals for track not only helps with running, it has rubbed off on her school work as well.

“She’s a good student, a well rounded person and is driven to succeed,” Scheele said.

Anderson says her biggest supporters are her family, friends and teammates. She says she always pushes herself to exceed expectations.

“I always remember there is more to be improved and someone else that is working to be as fast as me and someone who is working to stay faster than me,” Anderson said.

Anderson is a great addition to the Noblesville cross country and track team according to her coaches and teammates.

“She’s one of the best athletes in the county and state,” Scheele said. “I’m glad she’s on our team. I’m glad she’s a Miller.”