Girls soccer team takes on sectionals

Photo by Photo by Phoebe Moritz

Sophomore Delany Riester battles a Marion opponent. The girls soccer team moves into sectional play this week.

Lainie Thomas, Staff Writer

This season the girls varsity soccer team has had large success with a record of 10-2-3; From beating Carmel to their loss to HSE last week, these girls are letting nothing get in their way of winning the State Championship.

September 22 was a memorable night for the team: They defeated their long time rival Carmel. This was one of their first victories on the road to the State Championship. Junior Briana Denny thinks that how close they are as a team this year, will lead them to the State Championship.

“This season our goal is to make it to State, but we have to take one game at a time, and play our hardest in every game. If we play together as a team, we will be successful,” Denny said.

Senior Karsen Rauch, who is one of the team captains, believes that even though the Millers have faced a few tough losses, they are prepared to do whatever it takes to push through to become state champs.

“We want to win state championship… so we just need to stay focused at practice and stay together mentally and emotionally,” Rauch said.

Sophomore Taylor Gysin is confident that the team will achieve their goal of winning it all because of how close the girls are this year. “I feel as if we have a special bond. No matter what, we always have each other’s backs,” Gysin said.

Gysin does not want the team’s fans worrying about their loss to HSE last week,  “Oh, don’t worry,” Gysin said, “you will catch the girls soccer team with state championship rings on their fingers,”

This week the girls soccer team takes on Fishers in their first match of the state tournament. After that, the team will have to fight their way through the Hamilton county bracket which is stacked with some of the highest ranked teams in the state.