Beautiful butterfly: Through recycling efforts, student Kaelyn Hart created an impressive work of art while honoring the environment

Senior Kaelyn Hart poses in front of her handmade butterfly sculpture located in the main courtyard. She holds a paint can and brush, ready to add finishing touches to the stand.

Morgan Trowbridge, Business & Distribution Manager

Anyone who takes a walk through the main courtyard has probably noticed it. The sun shines brightly, bouncing off a series of carefully arranged bottle caps that reflect their bright colors to all visitors of the area. It’s a sculpture that stands alone in front of tall brick walls, representing all that senior Kaelyn Hart could have ever wanted. With wings spread wide and antennas reaching to the sky, the butterfly named “Berty” brings an usual beauty to any Miller passing by.

Since 2019, this courtyard has been in the process of renovation providing teachers and students a chance to enjoy the space in their free time.. Hart is among those creators, as she is the designer of the butterfly sculpture made of recycled caps to sit in the main courtyard. She is also a member of the student-run Conservation Club, whose main focus is to find ways to improve the environment, both inside NHS and outside of the school’s walls. The club collects and recycles caps to be melted into a variety of objects like the  benches that are placed in such courtyards and around the school.

“I chose the courtyard because I’m a part of the ‘Courtyard Group’ with the National Honor Society [and the Conservation Club]. That just means it’s our job to take care of and spruce up the courtyard by the art hallway,” Hart said. “I wanted to bring life and a little bit of color to the courtyard and recycle some of our caps in my own way — a different way than the benches we’ve been making. I want people to see it and enjoy it as an art piece, while also keeping in mind the impact we have on our earth.”

The Conservation Club has made several efforts to help the environment such as their non-perishable food bins in the school’s cafeteria, a compost room in the sponsor’s room, and recycling bottle caps for new uses. Hart wanted to channel these efforts into her own piece, while also showing a bit of her personality.

“When I think of a butterfly, I think of growth, transformation, and transition. Butterflies go from a caterpillar, to a cocoon, and then into a beautiful butterfly. I wanted my piece to represent my own growth and transformation after a pretty rough time in my life, so I saw it only fitting,” Hart said. “I also thought of what would look good in the courtyard in the spring when all the flowers come back, then boom, butterfly.”

Hart worked mostly alone on her project, planning and designing the sculpture. However she did have several supporters along the way.

“The people to support me through this journey were my wonderful mom, my wood-working step-dad, Mr. [Assistant Principal Dan] Swafford, and [Conservation Club sponsor Eric] Gurule,” said Hart.

Gurule has worked as a teacher at NHS for nine years. Hart joined this club her junior year, but Gurule said she became more involved this year as a senior.

“Each year the Conservation Club sets goals that they wish to try and accomplish for the year. Many kids found groups and brainstormed ideas, but [Hart] came to me with an idea she had already had in mind,” Hart said. “To have a project that is just in her mind, not knowing how to do it, and to see it through and progress was really inspiring. I had no idea what she truly had in mind, but boy did it turn out fantastic.”

Many people say that one-time-use plastic can be damaging to the environment, which is why the Conservation Club collects caps to be reused for something new.

“The reason we make the benches is to find a way to keep plastic out of the ocean, and make something useful out of the caps we collect. When [Hart] came to me about using the caps for an art piece, it was just perfect,” Gurule said. “Plastic does not have to be trash, and if we can make something beautiful out of it at the same time, then that is just extra amazing.”

Just as Gurule had hoped, Hart was able to create her own individualized piece through recycled caps. Her piece took the single-use plastic and renewed it for her own artistic purposes. 

“My work really makes me feel confident. Just to stand back and say, ‘I did that. I did that by myself,’ is the absolute most satisfying feeling in the world,” Hart said. “I feel a little more complete every time I finish an art project, like I’m putting myself back together in a way. I hope it makes other people feel inspired to try something like it themselves, inspired to do anything they set their minds to.”

Hart created a piece that embodies her own ideas as well as those of the Conservation Club. Alongside her sculpture, the courtyard showcases the other projects teachers and students have worked on to create a welcoming environment.

“Just also keep in mind that the Conservation Club does actively collect and recycle bottle caps, so any caps that students have should be placed in the buckets we have in every classroom and lunchroom to be recycled,” Hart said. “The only thing I’d ask students to do is enjoy the piece. Take pictures with it, it’s gorgeous in the sunlight.”