Dancing towards competition

The Miller Dance Team is now a competitive squad. They also still perform at NHS sporting events.

Alexa Gassensmith, Staff Writer

The NHS Dance Team, now formally known as the NHS Miller Girls dance team, has transformed into a competitive dance team and now holds a new outlook on the sport of dance. After four non- competitive years, the NHS Miller Girls dance team is yet again a participant of the IHSAA dance competition system. On December 6, the NHS Miller Girls had their first dance competition at Lebanon High School.

Throughout the seven months of practice, the team has worked to transition itself into a competition team. The team has increased practice hours, technical skill level and mindset on dance.

Senior Allie Ouillette has been a member of the NHS dance team throughout her whole high school career. Ouillette has never experienced the intensity of becoming prepared for competition season before.

When talking about how the girls prepared themselves for the season, Ouillette said, “[the team has] dedicated more time than ever before to be ready for competition. Many long Saturday practices along with our normal practices [three hours, four days a week] have helped us prepare.”

The Miller Girls are no longer strictly just a team of hip-hop dancers. They compete in both hip-hop and pom, a newly introduced form of dance to many of the girls on the team.

Senior Kirsten Larson has danced since she was in kindergarten as a ballerina, and has been a participant of school dance teams since middle school. “There is definitely a different vibe to the team this year than there has been in previous years,” Larson said. “I have never worked so hard for the dance team before. And now I know how to do pom and be much more clean and well-rounded as a dancer.”

Larson continued by saying that everyone understands how important it is to do your part in order to not let your team down. “I would never want to pull the team down. It is so important to work your hardest so you can have progression.”

At the Lebanon competition, the NHS Miller Girls placed third in both pom and hip-hop. The team was also awarded the sportsmanship award out of twenty- seven other teams. “I felt empowered and strong,” says Larson. “I honestly loved every second I was out on the floor, it’s a totally different experience than performing at a football or basketball game.”

The coaches predict great things to come for the Miller Girls. “There aren’t enough words to express how proud we coaches are. This is only the beginning of an incredible season to come,” head coach Kaitlyn McAfee said.

The NHS Miller Girls’ next competition will be held on January 17 at Northrop High School.