Interest spikes in boys volleyball

Miller+volleyball+boys+go+in+for+pre-game+hype.+

Photo by Nate Elks

Miller volleyball boys go in for pre-game hype.

Hannah Derleth, Copy Editor and Staff Writer

Since their first season six years ago, the boys volleyball team has bumped, set, and spiked their way to becoming a strong team with lots of talent and even more passion for the game. Last year, the team went 22-13, and ranked ninth in the state.

Seniors Jacob Guenin and Sonu Dhillon have high expectations for this coming season.
“We have the ability to win state this year,” Guenin said. “Talent is a huge part of volleyball, but we also focus a lot on team chemistry. If we have both of those this year, we’ll be pretty well off. I think we have the potential to go all the way.”

Sophomore Kyle Wellman also thinks the team could go far. This is his second year playing, and he suspects a good season is on the way. “My favorite part about playing is being able to hang out with a new group of people. Guys that you probably wouldn’t talk to in the halls come to play, and sometimes you end up becoming good friends with them.”

Since there’s been a spike in interest to join boy’s volleyball, NHS is now looking to make a freshman team.

“With any luck, we’ll have enough freshman interested in joining to create a freshman team. If not, we’ll probably end up making two junior varsity teams, along with our varsity team,” said sponsor Gerry Porter, the head coach of the boy’s volleyball team. “We’ve had a couple of freshmen already come out to open gyms and express interest, so we’re hoping that even more students will come to our callout meeting. As for the varsity and junior varsity teams, I feel that if they start out on the right foot, it’ll be a successful season. There are a lot of other good teams in the state to compete against, but even with the tough competition out there, I can see us going far. Out there on the floor, anything can happen with momentum.”

“I expect a very solid freshman team, a lot of new freshmen with talent have come out to our open gyms, and I think others should come out and see how much fun this really is. We’ll be winning lots of games this year,” Dhillon said. “If you’re on the fence about joining, come to an open gym and check out what we do. You never know how it’ll be unless you try. You might think you’re too short, or don’t have enough skills, but there’s a position for everyone.”