Wearing your school spirit

Hayley Lipscomb

With seniors hyped their upcoming date of graduation it’s no surprise that the Millers are ready to sport their jerseys or varsity jackets. Students walk the hallways showing off their school pride with a well earned jacket or a custom jersey fit to their personality. But what does it take to get these clothing favorites of high school?

Varsity jackets aren’t something that is easily gained. These articles of clothing represent how hard out students work at Noblesville High School. Big, fluffy, and warm, the jackets mean a lot to their owners. “My parents got me [the varsity jacket] for Christmas two years ago since I had so many patches,” senior Megan Taxter said. Students can earn patches by the hard work they put into their school activities.

“One [patch] symbolized I was in pep band, which meant I played at all the basketball games,” sophomore Mariah Whitesell said. All the patches on the jacket mean something to the wearer. “Years of hard work, dedication, blood, sweat and tears.” said Megan Taxter when talking about how she achieved her letter. The letter is earned through three or four years of a sport or being in a musical performing arts then can be placed on the varsity jacket.

Unlike varsity jackets, every senior has an opportunity to purchase their shirts. These jersey’s can be fun with their names customized by the students. Senior jerseys, unlike a varsity jacket, can only be worn and acquired for the seniors of 2015. Students choose a name that will represent them for the rest of the year. There is a wide variety of chosen names. With how much the seniors of Noblesville High School love these jerseys, they may become a school tradition like varsity jackets.