Drawing a community

Photo by Collier Wright

Art teacher Kayti Hahn speaks at the call out for the National Art Honor Society. The meeting was held 5/1/15.

Collier Wright, Staff Writer

For years, National Honor Society has been a staple at NHS, a collective group of those with outstanding GPAs. Next year, resembling the society of NHS’s best and brightest, the National Art Honor Society (NAHS) will arrive for all creative minds.

NAHS, established in 1978 by the National Art Education Association, desires to help student artists reach achievements of art scholarship and recognize those with outstanding ability and interest in the arts. Through these means, NAHS seeks to bring art education to the attention of the school and of the community.

“[Our involvement is] just continuing our mission of advocating for the arts.” Kayti Hahn, art teacher and sole sponsor of the NHS branch of the National Art Honor Society, said.

Efforts in the aforementioned art department mission have manifested themselves in the form of the monthly student art shows that have been hosted by the community throughout the past school year.

For the 2015-2016 school year, the student-driven shows will only occur every other month. On the months without a show, the NAHS will meet.

“Member responsibilities will include helping with shows, mentoring with younger artists [and] creating a mural for the library here at school.” Hahn said.

To join, students only need to be enrolled in a visual arts class for the 2015-2016 school year. There is no GPA requirement but, according to Hahn, the benefits are numerous.

“There are opportunities for recognition on applications and scholarships,” Hahn said.

And there are students ready and able to reap the rewards of NAHS.

“I do crafty things anyway, so I might as well get credit for it,” Sophomore sculpture and photography student Kenzie Day said. “I hope to open up more opportunities and try to find out what it is I want to do.”