Changes to the 88-year-old SAT

Caitlin Kinkead, Staff Writer

The SAT is the nation’s most widely used test for college admission. A stu- dent’s high school GPA and SAT scores can predict how well a student will do in college. There will be a change to the current SAT that will be put into effect in March of 2016. The new SAT test will be affecting juniors and seniors tak- ing the test after March and all sophomores. Any seniors taking the test before March will take the current SAT.

Jerry Thurman, NHS sophomore, felt that even though the changes seem like a positive change it might have a negative twist.
“I feel like the students will make less of an effort to do their best during the exam,” Jerry said.

The redesigned SAT is formatted to be fair for all students. It contains questions that measure important skill, knowledge and understandings. The test assesses content for career and college readiness. The SAT scores will also contain meaningful information that can display the likelihood of college and career readiness. Abbie Herman, NHS junior, believes the changes to the SAT will be a positive change for students.
“I feel like the changes will have a really positive benefit because obviously fairness is very important and it’ll be good for all students at Noblesville and throughout the country to have an equal opportunity,” She stated.

Also among the new changes the essay portion of the SAT is now optional. Due to it being optional the test and the essay will be graded separately and reported separately. Even though the essay portion is optional, Stephanie Stof- fel, senior/junior guidance counselor, believes students should chose to take it anyways.
“It depends on what college you want to attend on whether you should take it or not. Some colleges specifically look at the essay portion. I encourage stu- dents to take it anyways to show colleges another side of you,” Stoffel said. Thurman, on the other hand, was happy to see that the essay portion was optional, as this was one of the biggest changes to the 88-year-old format of the SAT.

“I’m not too good at writing essays so it might be helpful that it is option- al,” Jerry said.

Stoffel believes that overall the redesigned SAT will have a positive impact on students. If you would like to begin scheduling for the SAT, registry is now open. The test and the essay cost $54.50, and only the test costs $43.00. The SAT will be offered at least seven times a year. It will be offered in October, November, December, January, March, May and June. For more information on the redesigned SAT or current SAT, visit collegereadiness.org or contact Stoffel in guidance.