Painting her way to success

Junior+Alyssa+Sellers+doodles+on+notability+during+lunch.++Sellers+goes+down+to+the+art+classrooms+during+almost+every+AL+to+work+on+current+pieces.+

Photo by Photo taken by K. Hall

Junior Alyssa Sellers doodles on notability during lunch. Sellers goes down to the art classrooms during almost every AL to work on current pieces.

Kassidy Hall, Sports Editor

Junior Alyssa Sellers is doing in high school what some do for a living.

At 16 years old, Sellers is on a paid contract to illustrate a series of picture books aimed at an audience of preschoolers. She is currently working alongside preschool teacher and author Deborah Stewart to complete the first book.

The Wonder Series is a collection of 26 children’s picture books,” Stewart said. “Each new book topic in the series is inspired by a letter of the alphabet, such as apple, bridge, and so on. The first book is Don’t Eat the Apple Seeds and will hopefully be published by December with a release date to the public by next summer.”

According to Sellers, having a successful art career is “about connections, and knowing the right people.”

That was proven accurate, as Sellers obtained the opportunity for illustrating the book through several other people.

“Alyssa was referred to me by my brother as a potential illustrator for my book,” Stewart said. “We met a few times so I could review her work, and she drew a sketch that I requested for another review.”

As the process went on, Stewart and Sellers continued to work together. Sellers is working on completing the illustrations for the first book, all of which have to do with apples.

“For the book, I’m doing watercolor,” Sellers said. “It’s a nice break from my regular art class work.”

Sellers is currently contracted to stay with Stewart for the first two books, and they are both making future plans for the rest of the series.

“My hope is that Alyssa will stay my creative partner through the whole series,” Stewart said. “She is a dream to work with and I think we make a great team!”

“I’m glad I get to do something that I love and get paid for it,” Sellers said. “I’m gonna try and stick with her through the whole process.” With a laugh, she added, “I’m glad I don’t have to work fast food.”

Apple web 2