Pushing the boundaries

One NHS student is changing how we define art

Photo by Photo by S. McLaughlin

Molly Freeman sports her favorite article of clothing: her pink overalls. The overalls are from Pomelo Fashion.

Skye McLaughlin, Staff Writer

Who is 5-foot-8-inches tall and wears pink overalls? Your grandma. And also sophomore Molly Freeman.

Since her freshman year, fashion enthusiast Freeman has been involved in both the NHS Fashion Club and the Fashion and Textiles class. However, her interest in fashion began long before her high school career when she began to develop her own style.

“Sixth grade is when I started wearing my own stuff,” Freeman said.

Although Freeman is passionate about creating and designing clothes along with wearing them, she claims that fashion for her wasn’t always about being creative.

“It gave me confidence, obviously, in middle school because everyone hates middle school,”Freeman said. “It’s a time when no one’s confident. So then having my own style gave me confidence.”

But once she was in high school, Freeman’s involvement in fashion began to evolve.

“It became a passion rather than a hobby,” she said.

One person who encouraged Freeman to be more involved with fashion is Katelyn Butz, the adviser of the fashion club.

Photo by S. McLaughlin

Butz claims that Freeman has a truly unique style.

“She is willing and able to push the boundaries and rocks every single clothing item that she puts on,” Butz said.

Being involved in fashion club has pushed Freeman into becoming the fashion-lover she is today.

“I have met so many people who give me inspiration, people to bounce ideas off of, people to talk about style with, who just share my same interest in fashion,” Freeman said.

Freeman sometimes describes her own style as “grandpa chic” because of her love of big sweaters and lots of color.

Junior fashion club member Katie Avery agrees that Freeman’s style is different and interesting.

“She has a very unique style,” Avery said. “She wears a lot of things that most people wouldn’t wear to school, including me. She wears clothes that everyone wants to wear or sees as the latest trends but are too afraid or too out of their comfort zone to wear.”

Regarding her fashion sense, Freeman claims that there isn’t a particular style that she’s going for.

“I just wear whatever I want,” she said. “It’s whatever I’m feeling that day.”

Although Freeman does not create her own clothes from scratch, she enjoys altering clothing that she purchases to give them her own twist. She began adding her own flair to her clothing items in middle school by cutting shirts into tank tops and making different sleeves out of her old t-shirts.

“I’ll alter my clothes a lot, sewing up turtlenecks that I thrift so they fit better, making tears in denim, embellishing belts,” she said. “I’ll add my own touch to my clothes.”

However, when she doesn’t put her own spin on her clothing, she still finds ways to make them interesting.

“It’s just adding my own touch to the outfit in general, with a unique necklace…or a cool belt or a pin to put on a jacket. Anything to make it a little less ordinary,” Freeman said.

As much as Freeman claims she enjoys designing clothes, she doesn’t know if she will continue down the designing road in the future.

“I don’t know if I’ll necessarily pursue it as a career,” said Freeman. “I would love to go into business, like fashion merchandising.”

According to Freeman, Butz and Avery, fashion is a great way to express yourself and be an artist.

“People express themselves through what they want to wear,” Avery said.  “[You don’t] necessarily have to wear the things that you like, but be able to express the fact that you like them.”

Although many people only view art as something splattered on a canvas, Freeman creates her own art with only a couple dollars to spend at Goodwill and her own two hands.