Artist of the Issue: Blake Eller

Emily Whitcomb, Staff Writer

Four instruments, three bands, one Blake Eller. The band is built on good musicians, and Blake Eller is amongst the band members who have gotten good at what they love. Strong musicians are the key to any strong band.

Eller performs in the Wind Ensemble, jazz band, and was in the marching band for two years. He played his first note on saxophone when he was in fifth grade, joined band in sixth grade at Noblesville East Middle School, and now is in the top bands at Noblesville High School. The exciting prospect of jazz band made him pick up the bari-saxophone in eighth grade. His repertoire of instruments he plays adds up to alto sax, bari sax, tenor sax, soprano sax, and baritone.

Eller gets his musical talent from his mom. “He has always had an ear for music, but it is his persistence that is key,” Chris and Stacy Eller said. “He always has to make sure that he can hit every note, and will practice that part or note until he has it right.”  

All three bands Eller has been involved in are demanding in different ways “Marching band is the most work, concert band is like perfection, you have to be perfect in there, and then jazz band is a lot of fun,” Eller said.

The adults in Eller’s life all agree that Eller hardworking, persistent, and more. “[Band] is also teaching him that it takes time, dedication, patience, and practice to improve,” Chris and Stacy said. “We are also very proud of his commitment and dedication.”

Eller’s parents, band director Eric Thornbury, jazz band director Bethany Robinson, and Eller himself are all in agreement that band takes effort. Eller has shown time and time again that he can and will put forth the effort to become a great musician.

Robinson, recalling Eller’s performance in All-District band, where he played a feature piece, remarked that, “he killed it. I knew Blake was a good player but even that impressed me.”

Eller cannot live without music. ”It’s in every aspect of life, you hear it in movies, when you’re driving down the road, I play music, it’s in everything,” Eller said.