Track and field superstar

NHS Senior Shelby Tyler excels at high jump on NHS Track & Field team

Photo by Provided by Shelby Tyler

Tyler poses on NHS track.

Kendall Reynolds, Staff Writer

Through knee surgeries, language barriers, and 20-hour car rides, Shelby Tyler has still managed to become one of the best high school track stars in the nation.

Tyler began her track and field career in seventh grade when she moved to Noblesville, from a school that didn’t have a team and starting as a sprinter. Eventually she made her way to high jump, where she has since won United States Track & Field (USATF) Junior championship and placed eleventh in the USA Under 20 World Championships in Tampere, Finland.

“[Junior Worlds] was really cool. It was kinda crazy. Definitely different from anything else I’d ever experienced. I think the distance from home along with the language barrier played a huge part in how the competition went in Finland,” Tyler said. “It was very interesting to meet and talk to new people. It was just an amazing experience and I’m lucky to have been able to go.”

Shelby Tyler
Tyler’s 2017 IHSAA state champion medal.
Shelby Tyler
Tyler’s 2018 New Balance medal.
Shelby Tyler
Tyler’s 2018 USATF Junior Champion medal.

However, she doesn’t just love the sport. She loves the teammates and the coaches that come with it.

“I love our team, I love the coaches we have, all of the athletes and teammates are all super close” said Tyler “It’s more like a family, not just a team. Everyone is always really supportive of everyone else.”

Tyler’s teammates speak to her high performance as an athlete.

”Shelby is an amazing athlete. Her high jump form is perfect; it’s very graceful and powerful. As far as personality goes, she’s really sweet and always stays humble,” senior Noelle Dennis said.

Dennis has run and jumped alongside Tyler in numerous meets throughout past seasons.

“Her determination is what really sets her apart from other athletes; she’s had two knee surgeries in the past two seasons and still come away with more medals than most people collect in a lifetime,” Dennis said.

NHS Track & field head coach Dennis Scheele has also taken notice of Tyler’s accomplishments.

Shelby just has a lot of confidence in her abilities in the classroom and out of the classroom. She’s an outstanding student,” Scheele said.

According to Scheele, Tyler has the potential to be even more successful than she already is.

“There’s no reason for there not to be success next championship. I don’t [want to] jinx her and say she’s [going to] win, but it looks pretty good… The sky’s the limit, she will have a lot of success. She’s only [going to] get better, as good as she is, “ Scheele said. “She just keeps working harder and harder and never gives up. She looks to improve just like any other great athlete…all of the credit is given to her.”

Tyler plans to keep pursuing her love for track and field as a professional high jumper.

“I love track and i love everything that comes with it. So if I can pursue a career in something that I love, I will definitely try my hardest to do that,” Tyler said.