Going beyond biology

Megan Obremski keeps giving back to her community

Photo by Noah Zentz

photo provided by N. Zentz

Gracie Elmer and Miranda Perkins

Sometimes, inspiration finds you early in life.

As a child, NHS science teacher Megan Obremski grew up on a farm and played outside often. During this time, Obremski discovered her passion for nature.

However, it was this passion that would eventually lead her to graduating with a degree in biology from Southern Michigan University.

As an adult, Obremski not only retained her love for science, eventually pursuing a career in biology, but she also became an active member of the volunteer organization, Key Club. It’s a group that gives members an opportunity to serve their communities through activities like food drives and park clean-ups.

“I was a Key Club sponsor for several years in Missouri,” Obremski said. “I started helping out with Key Club my second year here, and I became an official sponsor my third year.”

Through Key Club, Obremski has found a way to extend help and contribute to the Noblesville community even further.

“I became involved with Key Club mainly because I feel it’s so important to volunteer and give back, and I like to help encourage all people, students included, to do that,” Obremski said.

In her work for the club, Obremski offers her aid to several different aspects of the organization.

“[Obremski] has many impressive qualities that help our club. She is highly organized, and easily finds ways for our club to get involved in the local community and within the school itself,” Alaina Shonkwiler, the Work Development Coordinator at NHS said. “Organizing food drives, packing of care packages for the homeless, and finding a creative outlet for service like the ‘Kindness Rocks’ project are only a few of the ways she helps to develop and grow the reach of Key Club.”

Within her career as a biology teacher, Obremski not only hopes to help her students learn, but also grow.

“I just want to make them better people and help them be more successful in life,” Obremski said. “I hope that I can help them find some sort of excitement and passion for learning.”

Within the classroom, Obremski holds all of her students to a high set of standards, while still providing guidance at the same time.

“Obremski expects students to explore their own study and preparation styles, yet she’s always there for you when you need guidance, regardless of the situation,” senior Sandra Warne said.

Her students are not the only people she aims to help.

“I think it’s neat to help [anyone] to discover his or her role in the world,” Obremski said. “I want people to learn about their strengths and how they can use those.”

In the process of educating her students, Obremski challenges them to act with maturity and accountability.

“She is one of the few teachers who treats her students as young adults,” Warne said. “She holds the expectation that we will take responsibility for our actions.

Obremski puts all the effort she has not only into helping her students, but also into helping in her position as sponsor.

“[Obremski] is the epitome of servant leadership; her positive attitude and kind heart inspires our student leaders of Key Club, and allows them to discover their own passions through community service in a comfortable environment,” Shonkwiler said. “She opens her classroom for after school activities, and helps students safely navigate service opportunities within our community.”

Along with her life in school and Key Club, Obremski participates in several organizations outside of those areas as well.

“I’m also a part of the NSTA (National Science Teachers Association), and I’m a part of several AP teacher groups as well,” Obremski said.

With everything that she does to help people both at school, and within the community, Obremski reiterates that kindness and good intentions can always have a positive impact on society.

Aside from helping her students and others in her work, Obremski also incorporates her own style in her approach to education.

“I feel like it’s important to not always be doing the same thing,” Obremski said. “Even as an adult, I think it’s important to always be learning and looking for ways to be better.”