Becoming classy from trashy

NHS+Student+Section+at+the+2014+Homecoming+football+game.+

Photo by Jason Hoffman

NHS Student Section at the 2014 Homecoming football game.

Hannah Derleth, Copy Editor and Staff Writer

Every year, student sections compete for WTHR TV news channel “Operation Football Spirit Award.” Every year, the competition between area schools becomes more and more heated. But no matter how big the rivalry gets, the recent displays of vulgarity in the NHS student section is unprofessional and uncalled for. School spirit plays a big role in football games, and student sections attract eyes from all over. The spirit award is pretty cool to receive, I know. However, yelling obscenities is not the way to win over the public or the TV reporters at WTHR. Not only this, but it does not reflect well on our student section, the rest of the high school, or our community. We need to take pride in who we represent, and realize that our actions reflect back upon us.

At our first home game, our football team had an amazing win against Hamilton Heights with a score of 34-0. I, along with many others, was impressed by the number of students in our student section who had dressed up and came out to cheer the team on. However, as the night wore on, there was a plethora of inappropriate language shouted, along with booing at uninvited people who came into our stands. Overall, our student section did not represent our school as well as they should have.

Since then, people in our community and from surrounding schools have complained that we have not been respectful. Dr. McCaffrey and Mr. Bryant have both received multiple emails of how we have not been acting as we should, such as booing while any halftime performers are on, including Fisher’s band, or booing other kids who come to our students section to stir up chaos. To help improve the situation, McCaffrey and at least two others will be supervising the crowd, making sure nothing inappropriate happens. “I have faith in our students, that their behavior will improve in the upcoming games.”

Since then, there have been several positive changes in the behavior of our student section. Our cheers have improved, the student section invited everyone in the crowd to cheer with them, including the marching band and adult fans. With these improvements in place, hopefully our future student sections will become much more respectful and admirable. Keep it classy, NHS.