Huffman’s helping hand: NHS teacher Carrie Huffman shares the motivations behind her busy schedule

Photo by Carrie Huffman

As the school bell rings, students swarm out of classrooms, flooding the hallways with chatter and  rushing to class to take their next test. However, as NHS students can be consumed by the daily ritual of note-taking and club meetings throughout the school day, it is sometimes forgotten by students that some teachers can also find themselves entangled by school-affiliated activities outside of the classroom.

Nina Scroggin and Analyce Craft

As the school bell rings, students swarm out of classrooms, flooding the hallways with chatter and 
rushing to class to take their next test. However, as NHS students can be consumed by the daily ritual of note-taking and club meetings throughout the school day, it is sometimes forgotten by students that some teachers can also find themselves entangled by school-affiliated activities outside of the classroom.

Carrie Huffman, an Earth and Space Science instructor, is a teacher at Noblesville High school who is involved in not one, not two, but three after school activities.

Huffman finds herself deeply passionate about supporting both the deaf and LGBTQ communities. As a result, she sponsors and manages the American Sign Language (ASL) Club as well as the Gender and Sexuality Awareness (GSA) Club at Noblesville High School.

“As a teacher, you can imagine how I love learning. Learning through GSA and ASL just provide me huge benefits,” Huffman said.

Despite Huffman’s background knowledge with ASL, she admits that she, along with the students involved, have much to learn from one another.

“The ASL club benefits me because it gives me an avenue to practice my sign language. A few years ago, I took six different ASL classes, and I’ve lost some of it, but I’m getting to practice with the ASL kids,” Huffman said.

While the ASL club provides Huffman with a chance to learn unique skills, the GSA club gives Huffman the opportunity to connect with diverse groups.

“I often tell the GSA club that GSA makes me famous. I say that because I get people from outside of the school community who contact me for various reasons. It seems to me that a lot of different groups are interested in knowing and supporting LGBTQ students, and I’m the avenue for that. It feels good,” Huffman said.

While that “good” feeling is a motivating factor for Huffman’s involvement with school clubs, NHS students remain her passion and reason behind it all.

“It’s you guys, it’s the students who make me want to be so involved. I’m here as a high school teacher because I really value and appreciate and enjoy high school age students,” Huffman said, “I enjoy getting to know students in ways, more than just what I learn in the classroom. It’s another avenue to get to know and enrich the lives of teenagers.”

Though Huffman’s involvement inside the school is astonishing and admirable to many, she admits that the workload presents challenges at times that can evoke feelings of pressure.

“Sometimes it can feel stressful. I’ve lost track of how many years I’ve been here and how many years I’ve been teaching, but I just learn to find that balance between work and life. I’m just really there to support the club leaders,” Huffman said.

While Huffman’s schedule reveals her dedication towards her students, she also finds moments in her busy day to spend time with the canines at the Indiana Great Pyrenees Rescue (IGPR). These dogs always bring joy into her life when things can get a bit hectic.

Huffman claims that volunteering has been a great opportunity for her to give back to the community. Volunteering at IGPR has allowed Huffman to build long lasting relationships with countless people and dogs.

While volunteering and managing two NHS clubs can be stressful at times, Huffman’s club members claim that her hard work does not go unnoticed.

Sophomore MacKenzie Doran joined the ASL club early in her sophomore year of high school. As a clubleader, Doran has found Huffman to be a deeply caring and helpful individual.

“Mrs. Huffman has always made me, and the others in the club, very happy to be there. Sometimes she’s teaching us, but other times we are teaching her,” Doran said. “She has instilled a light in the club that everyone sees and knows.”

Though some may find themselves involved in only a singular activity sponsored by Huffman, according to Doran, the feeling of compassion and the level of drive Huffman has for all of her activities is appreciated by her students.

“I’m not in her main class, but I know [from her students] that her class experience is just the same as the club experience Compared to other classes I have been in, she is my favorite teacher. She is so accepting of anyone who comes into her class,” Doran said.

Huffman’s level of acceptance often drives students to get involved within the school, as it encourages them to pursue their passions and hobbies.

“I love to encourage the students to be well rounded and engaged within school or the community. Whether it’s drama, music, or sports, I absolutely encourage it,” Huffman said.

While Huffman’s efforts to get more students involved in school have proven successful, many students still remain unaware of the opportunities awaiting them at NHS.

“I would actually love to have more of a platform to connect with students, to help connect students with their interests and what’s available here at Noblesville, because there is so much offered at this school,” Huffman said, “I’m so passionately driven to get students connected with these different avenues to explore self interests, cultures, and groups.”