The Voice comes to Noblesville

Nick Copenhaver, Staff Writer

Winner of the 2014 season of “The Voice”, Josh Kaufman, visits Noblesville. Students were able to purchase tickets to see him perform live during Academic lab. NHS students had high expectations after seeing Kaufman win a national television show. “He impressed people like Shakira and Usher,” says Ms. Robinson. Robinson has been setting up his performance since the end of June. Director of the Indy Jazz Fest, Ron Dixon, had contacted her about performing with Kaufman; Robinson wasn’t able to tell anyone about this until it was confirmed. Robinson accepted the offer knowing how great of an experience it would be for the students. “Even teachers are students,” Robinson said, “You can always learn a lot from live music.”

Kaufman’s roots in Indiana start with his schooling at Anderson University and IUPUI. He made his life here, meeting many friends and even his wife, so he didn’t stick with his plan to leave

the state. He decided to try and start his career in music and to audition for The Voice. “It was easy,” Kaufman said about choosing between ‘The Voice’ and “American Idol”, “ I was too old for “American Idol”.” He said he was nervous about his audition, but as soon as Judge Adam Levine turned his chair around, Kaufman knew, “I could fall off the stage, and he would still have to stick with me.”

Though people were excited and had high expectations for his performance, some students don’t think Kaufman’s performance was all worth the admission price of ten dollars. Students said that even just one more song could have made the show worth it. “He did show up a little late, but he could’ve given a little longer of a performance,” sophomore Kayla Packard said. But junior Travis Byrne disagreed, Byrne said the performance was as good as it could get, and that even though the price was high, he saw a professional performed. But overall, many students claimed that the performance was great, even if the admission price was high.

Before and After Reactions and Expectations

-Freshman Sarah Schaefer

Before

Sarah is looking forward to the concert and though she doesn’t know much about him, she has high expectations because he won The Voice.

After

Sarah’s expectations were not met because she wanted him to put out more for what she paid, though she is glad she went because of the experience, and how much it would have cost for her to go see him anywhere else.

-Sophomore Kayla Packard

Before

Kayla is excited for the concert because she loves music and thinks it would be interesting to Josh Kaufman perform at her school. She has high expectations due to all of the great things she hears about him.

After

Kayla’s expectations were met due to Josh’s impressive performance. She believes it was well worth the price she paid and she thought it was cool that he had performed at our school. But she does agree that the performance could have been a little bit longer.

-Junior Travis Byrne

Before

Travis is looking for to Josh Kaufman visiting because he watched him perform and win The Voice, so he is expecting an excellent, soulful performance.

After

Travis’s expectations were met and he believes that students who attended the performance got a lot more than what they paid for.

-Senior Tessa Fischer

Before

Tessa thinks Josh is pretty cool after seeing him on The Voice, and she has high expectations from his performance.

After

Though Tessa’s expectations were met, she wishes that for the price she had paid, she could have seen one more song performed by Kaufman.