The online home of the Mill Stream and NHS News - Noblesville High School

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Polls

What is your favorite album of 2023?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

We’ll Take It From Here, Coach

NHS girls rugby team continues the legacy of their late coach
Photo by Provided by Kaylee Arriaga
The rugby team celebrates a victory with a hug from former coach Justin Henson. According to the team, Henson always made their games meaningful, whether they left with a win or a loss.

“I’m proud of you, kiddo.”

These five words are the inspiration for 25 young athletes on the Noblesville High School rugby team. For these girls, this quote from their former coach Justin Henson leads them to success on the foundations of unity and teamwork. At the age of 41, Henson passed away in July of 2023, leaving a missing piece in the rugby department. While the team’s success is a direct result of strategizing and endless hours of practice, what drives them to victory is the sense of community Henson brought and left on the team. 

From the moment these girls took their first steps onto the Noblesville rugby field to the last game of the first 2023 season, late coach Justin Henson was by their side through all of it. After coaching for many years, Henson was able to bring a familial feeling to the team. Though the beloved coach is now gone, the team continues to find ways to honor his memory. From helping each other process their grief, to playing together during games and practices, the group has grown alongside each other and formed bonds they believe will last much longer than high school. 

“He truly is a life saver and is with us at every game even if he isn’t physically there. We play and do our best for Justin.” -sophomore Giavanah Parson

“My coaches and my teammates created a safe space by displaying nothing but love and welcoming, positive attitudes.” -junior Ayla Howery

“After he passed away, we started a Justin Henson fund that helps girls in Noblesville pay for their registration and gear if they are unable to. He always said money should never be the reason you don’t play.” -senior Kaylee Arriaga

“Justin instilled in every play the importance of teamwork and caring for others. He always talked about how it was more than a game; it was a bond between players.” -junior Stephanie Cosand