Millers get a morning jolt

Seniors Riley Poynter and  Maggie Walsh work on choosing a logo for the Gold Mine. The Gold Mine staff have been working with Mr. Helming’s class to design logos.

Photo by Josie Artl

Seniors Riley Poynter and Maggie Walsh work on choosing a logo for the Gold Mine. The Gold Mine staff have been working with Mr. Helming’s class to design logos.

Josie Artl, Web Editor

The sweet smell of coffee wafts through the halls of NHS. Everywhere you go, students carry cups filled with the drink. Energized, students head to their morning classes, ready to learn. Soon, NHS will have its very own coffee shop, the Gold Mine.

The Gold Mine is scheduled to open soon in the commons. Mr. Dan Nicholson’s block five merchandising class has been working hard to get the ball rolling. They’ve had to delay the opening of the coffee shop due to several bumps in the road. The Healthy Schools Initiative, a government program that works to promote healthier student lifestyles, has been one of the biggest hurdles. They’ve leaped over these hurdles, however, and the Gold Mine is now set to open by the beginning of next semester.

How it started

The Gold Mine started out as an idea in the Miller Business Associates’ club.

“It all started out when the Miller Business Associates started playing around with the idea of incorporating a business into the school,” senior and Gold Mine staff member Riley Poynter said.

“We were looking for a way to give NHS students a hands-on experience in running a business. Originally [the idea] started as a spirit store, selling merchandise similar to what the Miller Backers offer, but also selling things like iPad charging cables that students may need to purchase,” Nicholson said. “Then it got into the idea of, ‘Well, what if we were to do a coffee shop?’ and a lot of kids were excited about that, so that’s what we’ve been pursuing for the last year or so.”

“Everyone really got behind [the coffee shop] because it was something that a lot of the student body wanted and still currently wants,” said Poynter. Coffee has been popular with students for years, becoming the subject of countless Instagram posts and giving drowsy students a reason to wake up earlier to get a cup.

“Do you see how many people walk in through the car rider doors in the morning with Starbucks in their hands?” sophomore Tara Douglas said. “The school would make so much money.”

Roadblocks

Opening a business in the school doesn’t come without its difficulties.

“We had a intended launch date of December 1, but we’ve been hitting a lot of roadblocks,” Poynter said. The Gold Mine should open soon, however.

“We’ve got everything in place to get started now, we’re just waiting on approval from the school’s central office. We’re having to work with them with the Healthy School Initiative and some of the other guidelines our school is placed under by the government. We’re hoping to be up and running before long,” Nicholson said.

What’s it all about?

It’s no secret that many NHS students like to start their day with a cup of coffee in the morning. The coffee shop’s schedule during the school day is yet to be determined, though.

“From what I understand, we’re definitely going to be open before school. We’ll probably stay open a little bit after school too,” Poynter said.

The staff plans to eventually sell flavored drinks, frappés, and smoothies, said junior and Gold Mine staff member Sean Critzman.

“We’re going to try to make it a lot more than just coffee,” Critzman said.

Until then, students will continue to wait eagerly for the Gold Mine to open.

“We’ve put a lot of work and a lot of time into this. I think when it does get going it should be really great,” Poynter said. “We’re all looking forward to it.”