Shooting for the stars

Senior Erin Wood takes her time to pass the ball to her team mates. She and her team practice everyday in order to set themselves up for success.

Photo by Photo by Nick Copenhaver

Nick Copenhaver, Staff Writer

She shoots! She scores! The girls basketball team is off to an excellent start to the season.

Both teams have played a total of seven games. The Junior Varsity with three wins, and the Varsity team is on their way to a huge victory, scoring big in games for the HCC [Hamilton County Conference]. Sophomore team member Abi Mumphrey believes the great success is due to the closeness of her and her teammates. Since joining the team, Mumphrey has made friends with all of them. The friendship and teamwork combined helps the team continue their winning streak and get them above and beyond their 103 point record. Sophomore Assistant Trainer Brooke Conway agrees, the team building. exercises, the team work, and the friendships create a professional like team. “I’m very confident that we will continue to do well,” Conway says, “we have a team that does a lot more than other teams.”

Coach Keck pushes the girls to where they want to be.

The team practices every day and lifts weights, keeping them in shape and prepared for whatever obstacles come their way. The team consist of 5 seniors, compared to last year with one senior. The amount of experience the senior girls have helps the team in many ways. Senior team member Kayleigh Herron has been playing on the team since her freshman year. She believes that they continue to win because of the bonds between her and her team mates. She says they prepare for games by talking about the other teams and their skills that they need to look out for, but they mostly relax and try and not think about the game. The girls will hopefully continue their streak against Anderson next week.