Varsity Lady Millers move on in sectionals

Photo by Kaylee Parkos

Junior Alexis Shannon attacks the hoop against Carmel. Shannon did an exceptional job Tuesday night, making great plays left and right.

Kaylee Parkos, NHS News Producer/Staff Writer

The regular season records were wiped clean, and Noblesville and Carmel had the chance to start anew. This was achieved on Tuesday night as the #6, 19-2 Millers took down the #18, 17-7 Greyhounds. The Millers outlasted the Greyhounds by a close five points for a final score of 60-55.

Katelyn O’ Reilly played a spectacular game, despite having a sprained ankle from practice the Saturday before. She managed to score the team’s first eleven points and led her team towards a lead that took place starting at the third quarter. Becca Bergman’s three-pointer and Alexis Shannon’s jumper set the stage for the Millers, and from there, it was a battle between the Millers and Greyhounds to secure the lead.

The atmosphere of the basketball court was intense during the fourth quarter. According to senior Erin Wood, the most intense parts of the game were “not when we were down – it was when we were up.” Junior Alexis Shannon can also affirm Wood’s statement as well. “When we were finally caught up, it was just like, take a little breath, but then you can’t because they’re coming right back at you. It was very relieving that it kinda gave us all confidence that we can still win the game.”

The Millers will take on the North Central Panthers on Friday, February 13, 2015, at HSE High School for the semi-finals of sectionals.