The Gift of Grace

Kassidy Hall, Reporter

As nearly a hundred of Joe Akers’ students sat in silence and listened to his story about the loss of his beloved daughter, not one of them walked out with dry eyes.

Grace Susan Akers died April 12, 2015, after an extended illness and disability. She was 16 years old. Her 17th birthday was May 6th, just a couple weeks away.

In the life of her father, Grace Akers was a hero. She was not a classic hero, such as a sports star or somebody who fights villains. She was a hero for hanging on to the good things in life and always loving others unconditionally without demanding anything in return, something many people lack and take for granted.

After Grace’s death, her father Joe and mother Jennifer did not ask for cards or flowers, but rather that their hero Grace would be remembered through acts of kindness similar to the ones she showed and delivered everyday by just being herself.

Being kind helps build relationships. There are countless positive social consequences to offering smiles or making small gestures to show your appreciation for others– other people appreciate you. They are grateful and they are more likely to do the same for other people, which triggers a chain reaction, paying it forward. That is what Grace did, and that is what our beloved teacher and his loving wife want from everyone. They ask not to mourn over their loss, but be productive from it, to take a step back from your everyday routine and do something little to make the world a better place, one smile at a time. Do this by giving a personal “Gift of Grace.”

Even in the light of tragedy, her family requests that Grace’s life would be honored by paying her loving spirit and kindness forward with a “Gift of Grace.” Let the world know that Grace was here and made a difference. In the memory of Grace, they ask that people consider donating to Family Voices Indiana, Make-A-Wish America, Give Kids The World or volunteering for Best Buddies or Special Olympics. You can also donate money, time and love to any cause dear to you.

The Mill Stream believes in paying it forward every day with a Gift of Grace. Whether that’s offering genuine positivity and kindness throughout the day or paying for a stranger’s Taco Bell order, every individual has a gift of love to offer. The importance of this can not understated. With something as small as a smile, you are showing to someone that they are noticed and loved.

When you graduate, your classmates will not remember all the information crammed into 180 days of 90 minute classes. They will remember you and the lessons they learned from the experiences surrounding them. The most important lessons learned in high school will not come from lectures and classes, but from people. Be somebody to remember. When you no longer see the people around you five days a week, their strongest reminder of you will be your moments with them. Every day, you make an impact on the life of everyone in NHS. Use that influence to make the school a better place.

Grace Akers proves that the most important thing to be remembered by is an individual’s personality. Be kind always, and don’t let life’s challenges stop you from being full of love.

Share your “Gift of Grace” and spread the love and kindness Grace radiated every day to help those who need it the most, and very quickly you will see what Grace Akers did everyday was the ultimate heroic act.