Starting something new

Kassidy Hall, Reporter

Going into high school, there are numerous expectations for what is argued to be the most important and best four years of your life.

Emily Campbell is a current eighth grader at Noblesville West Middle School. Although she is nervous, she has a positive outlook on her upcoming high school years.

“I’m very nervous for the classes. There’s going to be many people I don’t know,” Campbell said. “It can be difficult to socialize with new people, but I know I’m not the only one. Also, different lunches seem to be nerve racking because you don’t know if you’ll have friends in the same one as you. But overall, there’s many more pros than there are cons.”

Bryce Colon, a freshman at Noblesville, will soon finish his first of four years at NHS, compares his opinion of high school with Campbell’s.

“I hope high school won’t be the best four years of my life, but I think it’s okay,” Colon said. “I don’t think it will be the best, but I don’t think it will be the worst either.” With a laugh, Colon said, “Middle school was bad.”

Social Studies teacher Andrew McCormick has taught freshman at Noblesville for eight years.

“Freshman year is the hardest year because it’s such a big difference between middle school and high school,” McCormick said.

McCormick also emphasized the importance of balancing “not only education but your social life too. Get out there and do stuff, be a part of clubs, or be a part of sports. Things like that.”

Campbell already has some idea of what high school will be like, due to family and friends.

“My sister Ana Campbell is currently a senior, and I also know Olivia Clark and Jensen Meyers really well,” Campbell said. “They’ve explained to me that they really enjoy the school.”

“Also, I know they enjoy how many of the students interact with one another,” said Campbell. “Especially on social media, because they’ve easily been able to stay connected.”

Soon to graduate from middle school, Campbell is going into into high school with hopes for positive change.

“I have met adults that say high school was the best, but I also heard that it was the worst,” Campbell said. “It definitely goes both ways, but you still have a choice. For me personally, I know this will be a memorable four years of good and a little bad. I have a very positive mindset on this upcoming experience.”

Although one’s opinion of high school may change before and after at least year on campus, high school is inevitably crucial and important for the rest of your life. People still learn to make the best of it.