New year brings high expectations

Miller students throw up white powder to kickoff the 2015 season. They defeated Lawrence North in their home opener.

Photo by Photo provided by Mike Hasch

Connor Mills, Staff Writer

Highschool football season is upon the students here at NHS and the class of 2016 is very anxious to lead this years student section. Every year each and every high school create together a student section filled with rowdy students looking for a way to cheer on their team. But what makes the atmosphere exciting is the different ideas and activities that separate each individual student section from one another.

The class of 2016 will have their work cut out for them as the bar was raised high by the 2015 seniors as far as attendance numbers. Head football coach Lance Scheib credited the success of our student section to the success on the field.

“They are more into support when we’re winning. So I would say the last couple years have been the best,” said Scheib.

New for the student section this year is the large amount of leaders. Senior student section leader Margo Foster explained the reasoning stating,

“We can reach out to more people.”

Many improvements are being made from tailgating, during the game cheers, and after game activities. Senior student section leader Mitch Brown has proposed a new plan regarding activities after the big friday night game.   

“We are trying to not only tailgate at varsity games, but at JV games too,” said Brown.

He also understands that the pressure is high and that the student section will need everyone to go to as many games as possible to even compare our attendance numbers (to last year). They give the team 100 percent support and the team gives the same support in return,

“It puts such a great impression upon people who watch the game from the community, from the TV reporters, to our players,” said a very appreciative Scheib. The season starts friday, and it’s a home game.

Tailgating starts at 4pm in the parking lot behind the field.The gates open at 6pm, followed by kickoff at 7pm. After the game, Young Life is throwing a party to celebrate the start of the season. The party will be directly after the game at the softball fields located across the street from the field  Expect to see Hare Chevrolet field amped up with excitement under the friday night lights.