How old is too old?

Juniors (from left to right) Ethan Wilcoxen, Trevor Pfeil, Jack Ramey and Tyler Law approach a house on Halloween in search of treats. The four friends have spent Halloween together for five years.

Photo by Collier Wright

Meredith Higgins, Staff Writer

Putting an age restriction on trick or treating is wrong.

We’ve all heard it: when a high schooler tells an adult that he’s going trick-or-treating on Halloween night, there’s sometimes an, “Aren’t you too old to be trick-or-treating?” followed by an exasperated sigh. It seems that the social norm is that it’s frowned upon for teenagers to trick-or-treat. But should there really an age limit on costumes and trick-or-treating?

There shouldn’t be. Teenagers should be able to enjoy themselves before they become full-fledged adults.

There aren’t many other Halloween alternatives. High schoolers can go to Halloween themed costume parties, but that’s not something I personally would be interested in. Plus, the word “party” has a reputation that parents are not always fond of, even if it is just an innocent Halloween get-together. In the eyes of an adult, I am too old to trick or treat, but I’m too young to go to a party.

For one night of the year, kids of all ages get to be someone else. For one night of the year, neighborhoods come together in the spirit of Halloween. For one night of the year, people connect over costumes and decorations and scary stories. For one night of the year, kids — and even high schoolers — get to have fun. It’s one night in 365 where people get to feel a kind of excitement that no other holiday brings.

So, why is that a problem? Free candy and dressing up seems harmless, but some adults beg to differ. For example, my mother groaned and complained every time I went door to door in middle school. She always said that she didn’t like big kids trick-or-treating because if they’re old enough to get a job, then they can buy their own candy. Where is the fun in that? She also said that big kids wear scary costumes and scare some of the little kids away. Although these things are understandable, Halloween is a night of treacherous treats and tricks. It’s what the spirit of Halloween is all about.

It’s not fair to frown upon high school students who want to have a night of fun. There’s only so many Halloweens left before we’re adults with bulky briefcases and crippling debt. A spooky night filled with candy, skeletons, pumpkins and laughs can only be good for the soul. Adults should loosen up and put themselves in our shoes. Wouldn’t they want to have a last hoorah too?