When It’s Dark Out review

Album artwork for G-Eazy’s “When It’s Dark Out”

Adam Van Dam, Web Editor

In this time of the year, many albums are rising to the spotlight, but one in particular shines the brightest in the middle of the album dropping frenzy. G-Eazy’s sophomore album When It’s Dark Out recently released on Dec. 4th with millions of anticipated fans finally content. This album is a direct continuation of his debut album “These Things Happen” where he speaks of his rising fame and how he is “Almost Famous.” Fast forward two weeks ago when G-Eazy releases his newest work, When It’s Dark Out. In this album, he speaks from a point of view deep within his newfound fame. He can’t handle the fame and explains his struggles through it all.

To get a feel of his work and struggles, a few songs in his album explain it all too well. The first is “Random.” In this song he speaks of how becoming famous was not luck. He knew that his hard work would pay off in the end and he would make it in the music industry, but he couldn’t account for how being famous would through his life into a complete 180 degree turn. Next, is the song “Me, Myself, & I.” In this song G continues into how he knew he would be famous, but by being famous he has given up most of his private life and now he, just like everyone else, needs some alone time and how difficult that is to find. Finally, there is “Sad Boy.” In this song he questions why he’s feeling blue. He’s finally made it and is living out his dream of creating music and changing the world. But he continually interrogates himself in this song by asking, “Gerald, why you so sad for?” This is easily the most personal and blunt song of the album.

Yes, some people may say this album sounds just like the rest: another artist complaining about their life. But in the end, his correlation with his first album and his candidness and honesty is what makes this album so unique. He does not graze over the details of his struggles, he dives right in and explains almost word for word what he is dealing with.