Resigning from resolutions

Danielle Elliott, Staff Writer

Many people at NHS create resolutions that they don’t follow through with

Every day, every hour and every minute is a new beginning. While some take each day as a way to start fresh, others wait an entire year to do something for themselves.

Year after year, friends and family members of mine have created resolutions claiming, “I’m actually going to follow through with it this time!” and “New year, new me!” But fast forward to six weeks later and they’ve reverted back to their old ways, saying, “Maybe next year.” This statement baffles me, as the concept of time was created by humans. Theoretically speaking, if there were no organization of time, we wouldn’t delay making resolutions until the beginning of the year. With that being said, it is not necessary to wait for the start of a 365-day cycle to make a change.

Metathesiophobia is the fear of change. We, as humans, genuinely believe that when we’ve been doing something a particular way for a period of time, it must be the right way to do it. Therefore, we either believe that change is not necessary or we are afraid of the results that may consequent from them. So when people make resolutions, they are most likely to abandon them within the first few weeks of the new year. Without proper motivation, you won’t reach your goal.

Last year, freshman Diana McIntosh pushed herself to live a healthier lifestyle and to focus more on her school work. Even so, she was not able to do it alone.

“My mom motivated me and she told me we needed to start doing things together,” McIntosh said. “I probably wouldn’t have gone through with my resolution if it wasn’t for her.”

People make resolutions for many reasons. Some make them to accomplish something or to break a habit. Others create them to feel better about themselves. Either way, it requires determination and motivation to make a change. Because of this adjustment, many times resolutions can cause disappointment if they are too unattainable. Lack of inspiration can also cause one to discard their resolution.

Resolutions are meant to be periodic alterations over a 12-month period. But on Jan. 1 of each year, the “new year, new me” trend comes back. The idea behind the statement is fantastic: you’re not going to live the way you have previously and you’re going to do something for yourself. However, a new day will not make you a different person. It takes time and effort. Deserting your once great idea won’t help you accomplish your ambitions.

People do not change overnight. When the new year rolls around, people expect their resolutions to occur instantaneously, which is not always the case. As established before, the calendar is just a measurement of time and organization. Jan. 1 is just another day and life goes on. Making resolutions is a great thing, but it takes time. Don’t give up on your resolutions so soon: you could be pleased with their results if you stick with them.