Making it big

Collier Wright, Features Editor

NHS offers years of study and instruction in classical musical instruments through band and orchestra, but what classes can students interested in creating their own music take? How can a student at NHS “make it big” as a modern musician? Six Miller musicians asked themselves those questions. And they found their answers…

Drew Ahlbrand

Band Name/Style: Self-Propel, a pop punk turned metalcore band

Origin: The local Sam Ash instrument store played an essential role in Self-Propel’s creation.

“We met through Sam Ash, going there and jamming around. Then, we got in contact
and decided we wanted to jam together,” Ahlbrand said.

Accomplishments: On November 1, 2015, Self-Propel released “The Best Friends EP” on their Bandcamp page. They have also played shows in locations like Ben and Ari’s to an upcoming show at the Emerson Theatre on March 5.

“I’d like to have a few more releases, possibly play bigger shows, maybe have a mini-tour at some point but I don’t expect greatness,” Ahlbrand said. “I expect to work for it.”      

Advice to Student Musicians: “Get out there, make connections and, of course, practice a lot,” Ahlbrand said.

Josie Griffin and Tyler Law

Band Name/Style: The Synthetics, a two-piece acoustic outfit

Origin: Long-time friends, juniors Josie Griffin and Tyler Law, began to jam after meeting in guitar class.  “It’s a friendship, then a band and not the other way around,” Law said. “So making music and throwing out what doesn’t work is easier.”

Accomplishments: The band has only written a few songs, but The Synthetics hold high hopes for the future. “We have equipment to play somewhere live, just enough to work it out to earn money
playing gigs. With that money, we want to buy recording equipment to start really putting ourselves out there through a demo,” Law said.

Advice to Student Musicians: “If you find people who have the same views on [creating music] as you do, I think that’s where good music starts,” Law said.

And when making music, The Synthetics suggest warding off that which is synthetic.

“More people are going to like something you make if it’s
genuine,” Griffin said.

Ethan Ping and Rebecca Emch

Band Name/Style: Acoustic

Origin: Both senior Ethan Ping and junior Rebecca Emch had experience playing church solo gigs, but a request for music at a National Art Honors Society art show brought the two together.

“We got recruited [for the show] and then we decided to jam outside of that too,” Emch said.

Accomplishments: The duo, already with two National Art Honor Society performances and a performance at the recent Course Fair, has more in store.

“[Our plans are] playing in the community, get out there,” Ping said.

Advice to Student Musicians: “Find someone you enjoy playing with and don’t be scared to get out there and ask for opportunities,” Emch said.

“It’s gotta be something you’re passionate about,” Ping said. “Don’t do it just to get in front of people to look cool or get famous.”