Fetching frisbees

Hayley Nord, Photo Editor

Question: how many sports does NHS offer? The school has fall sports like football, winter sports like basketball, to spring sports like rugby, so students have plenty of opportunities to join a sport. But a little-known sport NHS offers is… ultimate frisbee?

“I started [playing] in my freshman year,” senior Gavin Miller said. “[The cross-country team] went to a cross-country camp in … we played a lot of frisbee there, and I got really into it.”

Ultimate frisbee is a relatively new sport. The goal of the game is to complete a pass in your opponent’s end zone. The trick is: a player cannot run with the frisbee. The player has to work with their team to pass the frisbee down the field.

The Noblesville frisbee team has been around for 11 years. They participate in tournaments during the spring and summer seasons.
“We have not won any tournaments, but I believe we were third at state last year,” Miller said.

A large part of the sport is the hard-work and effort put in before the game. The frisbee team holds open practices every Sunday at White River Elementary.

“We’re always trying to recruit kids,” Miller said. “If you want to join the team for a league or a tournament, you may have to fill out some paperwork. But, other than that, there’s really no requirements.”

Ultimate Frisbee requires dedication, skill, and teamwork, says senior Steve Loria. A team must work together to get the frisbee down the field and score a point.

“It’s all about the spirit of the game and just being a good person,” Loria said.