They’ve been schooled

Alexa Gassensmith, Distribution Manager

What’s the difference between homeschooling and public schooling? Misconceptions and speculations about the difference between the two have flown around for years. Which provides more opportunities? Which is a better way to be educated? However, some people wonder what a day in the life of a homeschooler or public schooler is like. In order to understand the difference the Mill Stream sat down with students Sydney Whitten and Maria Castro to learn about their days.

Homeschool Student

7:00 AM:

Wake up, shower, eat breakfast

8:00 AM:

Reading and or math with her younger siblings “I’m the oldest of nine kids,” she said.

9:00 AM:

Study something or another, “probably reading something for Lit. Pretty much just whatever schoolwork I have to get done that day.”

11:00 AM:

Eat lunch while listening to a podcast. “Stuff You Should Know and Dan Carlin are definitely my favorites,” she said.

12:00 PM:

“Focus on one of my subjects,” Whitten said.

1:00 PM:

Work on any projects or just goof off. “Some days are more productive than    others, and I don’t really have a set time to end school, its just  whenever I’ve gotten enough done. I  mostly stick to a weekly schedule, so I can double up one day, and do fun stuff the next. Really anything goes as long as I’ve gotten my work done by the end of the week,” Whitten said.

Public School Student

Black Day

7:00 AM:

Grab coffee and drive to school

7:35 AM:

Photography

9:12 AM:

Lifetime fitness

10:42 AM:

Between block 3 and 5, Castro says she “changes back into her ‘fire’ outfit of the day.”

10:49 AM:

Pre-calculus

11:54 AM:

Eats lunch from home.

12:29 PM:

Last half hour of block 5

1:05 PM:

Ceramics 2 “Where I’m the only student that isn’t a freshman or sophomore,” she said.

2:35 PM:

“I undergo the  enduring heart attack that is the school parking lot and drive home,” she said.

Gold Day

7:00 AM:

Grab coffee and drive to school

7:35 AM:

Student assisting

9:12 AM:

English

10:49 AM:

Internship at legal firm in downtown Noblesville.

1:05 PM: