Miller Media

“Bates Motel” review

Deadline.com

Deadline.com

Lexi Leisure, Staff Writer

Once upon a time there was a lovely mother and son who moved to town and bought a motel. Wait, let me rephrase that. Once upon a time there was a strange mother and son who moved to town and turned psycho.

Airing in 2013 on the A&E Network, Bates Motel is a prequel to the1960’s horror film Psycho. Recently, Netflix has added the fourth season and it’s better than ever. While the show has elements from the original movie it primarily focus’ on the main character, Norman Bates, and his life before Psycho. Viewers watch young Norman, who lives with his mother Norma, and how their relationship is stranger than your typical mother and son bond. Within the very first episode, the pair move out of town to reside in a house that overlooks a motel. They acquire the motel and soon get it up in running, with a few bumps along the way.  Throughout the series you watch as Norman slowly transforms into the infamous character from Psycho.

Throughout the seasons there have been thrilling scenes and crazy characters. From the very first episode, I fell in love with Norma. She is very unpredictable and is constantly making the show more interesting. I’ve enjoyed watching Norma grow stronger over the course of the series. At the beginning I feel like she was vulnerable. But later on when her son starts to mentally break down, Norma has to toughen up and do whatever it takes to keep her son safe.

If you were to ask me to watch any horror movie ever, I’d say no. I’m not a horror fan, but I can’t seem to put the remote down whenever Bates Motel is on. I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a mystery and a small adrenaline rush. If that’s you, then cue the eerie music and dim the lights. There’s vacancy at the Bates Motel.