Miller Media

Always be prepared

The way the boy scouts motto shapes the young men who abide by it

Junior+Ethan+Wertz%27s+sash+displayed+proudly+shows+his+accomplishments+in+Boy+Scouts.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Always be prepared

Junior Ethan Wertz's sash displayed proudly shows his accomplishments in Boy Scouts.

Megan Elizabeth

Megan Elizabeth

Megan Elizabeth

Megan Elizabeth, Staff Writer

“Be prepared.” This is the motto that has made the Boy Scouts of the United States known around the world since 1907. Prepared is what these young men have been since the day they began scouts. Teaching them life skills and survival skills, Boy Scouts are ready for anything.

“The motto is something that is applicable to everyday life. It’s something that has taught me to think ahead and make sure I have all the necessary tools I may need for that day. For example, if I’m driving somewhere I always make sure I have a jack, a spare tire, and jumper cables. That way I’m prepared for whatever may happen while on the road,” junior Ethan Wertz said.

Life skills that pertain to their interests is what Boy Scouts is all about. It also gives them a sense of accomplishment with what they do and the steps they took to achieve it.

“I am most proud of completing swamp base which was 60 miles of canoeing, and it was really fun,” says sophomore Aidan Scull.

Teaching readiness is what Boy Scouts is about, hence the “always be prepared” motto.

Being a part of scouting teaches valuable life skills. As well as skills you may need if you find yourself in a survival situation.” Wertz said. “Although, highly unlikely, it’s nice to know I am prepared. But more than anything it’s the life skills you can learn as a part of the organization. Including teaching and group working skills,” Wertz said.

These skills can be carried throughout life, and are being taught to the new generation of Boy Scouts.

“We teach this value constantly in the troop.  The younger boys take a while to catch on, but it’s a process.  When boys get to be my son’s age, it tends to become more automatic, however they can still get caught off guard from time to time,” 105 troop leader Scott Scull said. “But, to me [the motto] means being both mentally and physically prepared for whatever any given day may bring. This includes whatever a regular day would encompass, as well as being ready for any unexpected or emergency situation that may arise.” Scott said.

Although, most people decide to stop scouts by the time they are in middle school, these young scouts are doing something to set them apart from everyone else in their future career fields and from everyone else.