The online home of the Mill Stream and NHS News - Noblesville High School

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Polls

What is your favorite album of 2023?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Live, Love, Language

A new teacher’s passion for languages
Photo by Olivia
Arendt writes ‘hello’ in the four languages she has studied. Though, French is the language she currently teaches.

As students flood through the classroom door. Brittany Arendt is both thrilled and anxious. When the bell rings, students settle in their chairs and Arendt stands up to talk to her class for the first time. She thinks back on all of the other language classes she’s taken herself in the past. There is something different about this class, though. Arendt is now the teacher; not only that, but she gets to address her students in French. Speaking two languages can come off as an impressive skill to most, but Arendt has learned that speaking multiple languages is where connections can grow and relationships thrive.
Arendt recently began her first year at Noblesville High School as a French teacher. It’s also her first year teaching out of college. Learning a language in and of itself can be a difficult feat, but Arendt believes that it is worth the struggle. She enjoys languages so much that in addition to her native language of English, Arendt has studied German, French, and Chinese.
“I’ve always been into languages, so I did four years of German in high school. I got my minor in Chinese, [and] I started learning French when I was 19 and decided to major in it,” Arendt said. “It’s a lot like working out–it’s daunting and tedious at first, but then you start seeing real results and it motivates you to keep going.”
Language chair Marc Slain has aided Arendt within the beginning of her career. He recognizes that Arendt is committed to her career of teaching French.
“I have found her to be dedicated to her students and passionate about helping students learn another language,” Slain said.
Arendt continued her interest in language at Ball State University, where she obtained her bachelor’s degree, receiving a major in French education, with a minor in Chinese. A portion of her time in college was spent as president of BSU’s Chinese Club, where she was able to make connections with different cultures and communities.
“I had a lot of Chinese-speaking friends who I met through the club who taught me how to cook Chinese dishes, invited me to celebrate Chinese New Year with them, taught me how to play Mahjong, and helped me practice my Chinese,” Arendt said.
Also during her time at Ball State, Arendt traveled to France to study for a semester through the American Institute For Foreign Study (AIFS) program. During that time, she was able to meet new people and create life-long connections with others in a similar situation to her.
“I did a program through AIFS with other people from the US who I got to be good friends with. We were all in the same boat, living in a foreign country for the first time and trying to improve our French, so it was really easy for us to bond. I still keep in touch with them and my host family today,” Arendt said.
While creating new relationships, Arendt was also able to improve her knowledge of the French language.
“I stayed with a host family who were natives to the region and I attended a French university where I got to really challenge myself, and that was where I saw the most growth with my proficiency.” Arendt said.
Junior Claire Bergdoll, French III Honors student, can already see the spark Arendt has for language teaching. Bergdoll says she has enjoyed Arendt’s class and has learned a significant amount in the first few weeks. During class, Arendt’s students participate in a variety of fun activities to relate to her students and engage them in the language.
“It’s very evident she has a passion for French and sharing it with students. I love that Madame A [does] her daily questions and [that] she really values students’ time with brain breaks and fun activities,” Bergdoll said. “Madame makes French very easy to understand and helps us improve every single class.”
Going through her many experiences with different cultures has only strengthened Arendt’s love of languages and communicating with others through them. Sharing this love is what she believes makes learning worthwhile.
“My favorite thing about languages is that you get to share it with other people [and] you get to communicate with other people. So being able to share that with my students and all the young minds is rewarding,” Arendt said.
Arendt has already welcomed her students with open arms. Junior Molly Adams is part of Arendt’s French III Honors class and she has noticed the kindness Arendt has shown to her students.
“I’ve really been able to connect with her and create a good relationship, especially since my class only has nine people in it. She calls me and the other eight girls her ‘little book club,’” Adams said.
Arendt’s personality has also been a factor that has allowed her to build relationships with her students. This also helps the students share the excitement of the new school year.
“Overall, she just has a very bubbly personality, and I can’t wait to have an amazing year with her,” Adams said.
Arendt’s language journey is certainly far from over, as she is just beginning a new chapter with one of her four languages. She is ready to share this journey with her students and to help each other extend their language and communication skills.
“I definitely feel like I have big shoes to fill, but I’m excited to see myself,” Arendt said, “and my students—grow.”