The online home of the Mill Stream and NHS News - Noblesville High School

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Polls

What is your favorite album of 2023?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Re-CORD-ing history

Cords make their way through generations of NHS seniors
Amanda Williams, NHS graduate of 1994, says her cords were one thing she looked forward to in high school. “[Cords are] something I always talked to my mom about. I knew it was a tradition that she had taken part in and I thought it was a neat thing for us to keep doing.”

After countless nights of planning, preparing, and painting, students are finally able to see their entire high school experience on a pair of pants. Seniors have been waiting for years to be able to participate in this tradition that makes Noblesville students stand out from the rest. A long-standing Noblesville ritual, senior cords have been a right of passage for seniors for decades. 

Senior cords began at Purdue University in 1904 when two seniors discovered the flashy yellow corduroy fabric at Taylor Steffen Co. and decided to make trousers out of it. They eventually came up with the idea of decorating them, and by the time the class of 1905 was to graduate, the students made it a point to make senior cords a part of their class traditions. The activity spread quickly across many schools in Indiana and NHS quickly joined in, adopting the tradition in the 1950s. Now, in place of the classic corduroy, students today use clean white colored pants. But just like their predecessors, today’s cords still reflect seniors’ high school memories.

Stephanie Etchison, a 1991 NHS grad, reminisces on the memories she enjoyed with her friends creating their cords. “My favorite memory was that me and my friends used to go into one of my friends barn,” she said. “and we all shared the same paint and laughed about all the memories we shared.”