The online home of the Mill Stream and NHS News - Noblesville High School

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Polls

What is your favorite album of 2023?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

A Paper Pastime

Explore a simple hobby in origami

The creases in the paper are increasing, yet you still can’t get it right. You’ve been folding and forcing the expensive patterned paper to sit still as you look over the complicated instructions once again. Origami was supposed to be fun and calming, a way to distract from the stressors of day-to-day life, but trying to make a cute creature out of paper is just adding to your frustration.  

But it doesn’t have to be complicated. The art of folding shouldn’t put you in a bad mood. To many, it’s a great way to entertain yourself while lowering your screen time. Using this simple 5-step guide on how to make an origami butterfly, you will figure it out. First of all, you will need supplies, paper is an absolute must — I used sticky notes, but if you want to use notebook or printer paper, all the sides will need to be even. That’s it. 

1.) Fold the paper vertically, unfold, fold the paper horizontally, unfold and fold the paper diagonally in both directions, and unfold.

2.) Pinch the sides together to create a triangle shape.

3.) Fold the two bottom corners over. Upper layer only.

4.) Turn the paper over, like an upside down triangle and fold the (upper) bottom point all the way over the top. Once the point is over the top, fold it over.

5.) Turn it over, bend the wings together for your finished product. Now you have an origami butterfly.

Remember, take your time. If you need to give it a few tries, that’s okay. Hobbies, such as paper folding, should be enjoyable.