The online home of the Mill Stream and NHS News - Noblesville High School

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

We Want the Banner

An audition for Indiana’s best student section award

IHSAA Rules and regulations. Section 3, rule 4: If lightning is imminent or a thunderstorm is approaching, all personnel, athletes and spectators should evacuate to available safe structures or shelters.

The rumble of thunder shakes the bleachers of Beaver Materials Stadium, and not a single Miller football fan follows rule 4. It grows louder. And louder. And louder. Finally, the Miller Nation student section erupts, breaking the tension with a smack and a roar. After all, it was never thunder—it’s the student section’s classic cheer, the simulation of a roller coaster.

Watching from the field is local WISH-TV sports broadcaster Anthony Calhoun, and his crew. They’re on a tour across central Indiana to find the state’s best student section, and award them with the holy grail: the banner.

Although simple in display, the words “The Zone student section champs” on a ten-foot long banner means one thing: your school’s students are the most passionate in Indiana. Senior Josh Peek leads the Miller Nation student section every Friday night in their pursuit for the title.

“The banner is a competition with all the student sections in central Indiana to see who’s the loudest, who has the most fun,” Peek said. “[And] most importantly, who’s got the most school spirit.”

Working with three other seniors, it’s Peek’s responsibility to create unique ideas that make the Miller Nation student section stand out from the rest. Students in attendance are assigned a weekly theme for the Friday night game, including all-white, USA, or even Hawaiian

“For Hawaiian night, we brought out a slip & slide onto the bleachers,” Peek said. “We really want to keep doing things like that, [we’re] always trying to incorporate everyone in the fun.”

Noblesville’s contention for the coveted award may stem from the fact that the Miller Nation student section has created a culture. A culture that senior Caedmon Foster says has a positive impact on not only the players on the field, but the community around it.

“I think something that makes us stand out are the things we do for our community,” Foster said. The pink out nights to raise awareness, youth sports nights, and charitable events all make Noblesville different.”

Every week, Calhoun and his team at WISH-TV release a list of eight schools, all who excelled specifically during that week’s slate of Friday night football. Through week eight, the Miller Nation student section has made the list five times—equaling the total of 2021 champion, Cathedral High School.

For the homecoming game against Zionsville, Calhoun and the WISH-TV crew visited Noblesville, and according to Peek, were welcomed in with the Miller Nation’s very best. The bleachers of Beaver Materials Stadium hosted almost a thousand screaming teens, tightly packed shoulder-to-shoulder.

“[The student section] knew we had to get [Calhoun’s] attention with something special,” Peek said. “We decided on giving him a helmet as a gift, and really made sure people got in the stadium early, ready to get really loud.”

The Millers may have made a good impression on Calhoun that day, as they were once again named in “AC’s Top 8” alongside county opponents Carmel, Westfield, and Hamilton Southeastern. The team at WISH-TV witnessed the Miller Nation’s effort, and has rewarded them so far.

“Noblesville students show school spirit in a passionate and respectful manner,” WISH-TV said. “They’re commonly on our radar as a The Zone Banner finalist.”

The WISH-TV banner competition brings excitement and competition to schools all across central Indiana. To students like Foster, Winning the banner means something more than just obtaining an item that will collect dust in the rafters of a high school gymnasium. To the most dedicated of fans, it’s a token of their own effort every single week.

“Winning the banner means the students of your school doesn’t just show up for support, but show out,” Foster said. “That’s something Noblesville does. Noblesville shows out.”