The online home of the Mill Stream and NHS News - Noblesville High School

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Polls

What is your favorite album of 2023?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Who Cares if I’m Pretty if I Fail My Finals?

A comprehensive guide to studying like Rory Gilmore

Autumn is creeping in. You can feel it in the air and see it in the changing leaves. But where fall goes, midterms follow. As much as anybody would like to be enjoying hay rides, hot cider, and pumpkin spice, exams often take the top spot of everyone’s to-do lists. 

But don’t fret, it doesn’t have to all be bad. Instead of spending hours aimlessly pouring over your course material, turn on some “Gilmore Girls” to celebrate the season, and learn to study just like Rory Gilmore. 

1 —- READ INSATIABLY 

If Rory is known for anything, it’s her love for reading. So while you don’t have to finish a book per day, it’s good to keep one with you for your downtime. You should pick books that interest you, and try to make reading a daily habit. Don’t dive in headfirst if you’re not ready to. Start with 15 to 20 minutes a day, then work up the stamina to read like Rory. Reading helps to develop critical thinking skills and expands your vocabulary simultaneously. Plus, it’s a good look. Some of Rory’s favorites include “The Bell Jar” by Sylvia Plath, “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” by Lewis Carroll, and “Anna Karenina” by Leo Tolstoy. If you don’t know where to start, try one of those, or visit your local library to get an idea of what you might be interested in. 

2 —- DEFINE YOUR GOALS 

From the first episode of “Gilmore Girls”, Rory has her sights set on attending Harvard. So what is the goal for you? Maybe it’s not an Ivy League school – it might not be college at all. Regardless, it’s crucial to define your goals and stick to them, no matter how big or small. Having a specific result to work toward will motivate you to prioritize what’s important. Try writing down your goals on paper and keep them where you can see them as a reminder. Don’t be afraid to change your goals, either. Rory was a devout future-Harvard-grad, and ended up going to Yale. No matter where you end up, you’re achieving something. 

3 —- TAKE KILLER NOTES

Notes are one of the most efficient ways of organizing and remembering what you learn, and if you’re anything like Rory, you have a lot to keep track of. There are several substantial ways to take notes depending on what works best for you. Whether you prefer to work with words or pictures, make sure that your method of note-taking provides a clear outline of the information you need. Don’t lose track of what you’re writing down. Add some color, stick on a few post-its. They’re your notes, so make them personal to your needs. 

4 —- ADJUST YOUR ATMOSPHERE

What draws people to Rory the most is her character’s aesthetic. She’s always well dressed, and her environment never fails either. So maybe it’s not your method that’s making you struggle – it could be your atmosphere. Start by finding the perfect study spot for your needs. Rory may be able to block out the whole world to get the job done, but that’s a side effect of such a crazy life, so try to choose somewhere serene. There are libraries, local cafes, or even the comfort of your own home. Get in the zone, put on some soft music, light a candle. Once your space is up to par, your skills should follow suit. 

5 —- STICK TO A SCHEDULE

Rory is notorious for sticking to her goals, and to stay on track, she has a strict schedule. It’s important when devoting time to anything, academic or not, that you balance your priorities. Set aside time to study, and be consistent about your habits. The more time you leave between review sessions, the harder it will be to retain information. This doesn’t mean that your whole life has to be school. A big part of building up a routine is leaving yourself time to relax. Overworking yourself does as much damage as not working at all, so find an even ground, and get started. 

The key to studying most efficiently is to find what works for you, and not anybody else. Your study patterns don’t have to be as rigorous as Rory’s, and you don’t have to be aiming for an Ivy League to find success. Whatever your case may be, find a system that works for you so you won’t leave your friends and family asking, “Why did you drop out of Yale?”