The online home of the Mill Stream and NHS News - Noblesville High School

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Polls

What is your favorite album of 2023?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Turf and Ice

Monty Atkins switches sports from season to season
Atkins has been goaltending for the last ten years of his hockey career. This is his second season in goal for the Central Indiana Knights.

He goes from the ice, from heavy pounds of sports gear and sharp, thin skates, to sprinting across the turf, a lacrosse stick in hand. He lives a double life. Athlete by day, but a different athlete at night. How does he do it? How can a high school athlete play two sports with such completely different styles?

At the end of his time in the rink, NHS junior Monty Atkins skates from his practice at the Central Indiana Knights rink to join his lacrosse teammates on the NHS’ boys team. Atkins has been a part of the lacrosse and hockey communities in Hamilton County for more than ten years. While these two sports happen in overlapping seasons, Atkins believes the dynamic between the two sports has helped shape him into the person he is today. He says sports teach him the importance of teamwork, balance, and trying new things. Atkins, started out as a defenseman, a skater on the ice, but he now finds him- self in a new position where he isn’t scoring the goals. Instead, he’s protecting his team’s as their goalie, a position he loves. Luke Funk, Atkins’ back up goalie on the Knights, finds Atkins to be an asset.

“It’s honestly really fun playing with him,” Funk said. “He’s been doing really well so far.”

Jack Bedich is the Knight’s captain, and while he doesn’t interact much with Atkins on the ice, Bedich still sees the potential in the young player and what he brings to their team.

“We’ve had a history of great goalies playing for the Knights, and Monty’s really starting to come around and play very well with us,” Bedich said. “Monty’s a great kid.

[He] always has a smile on his face.”
As a student athlete, Atkins doesn’t really know what a

break is. For other hockey players, the end of the season is when they get to relax and enjoy their time off. But for Atkins, it means it’s time for lacrosse season.

“I finish hockey out, then go to lacrosse,” Atkins said. “I don’t really have any off-season.”

The lacrosse season for Atkins has given him opportunities to connect with his lacrosse teammates in the same way he does in hockey. Junior Charlie Zink has played lacrosse with Atkins since they were in second grade and has established a strong bond with his team- mate.

“The chemistry between Monty and me is great,” Zink said. “We’ve played together for about nine years, so we almost know how to operate without even talking.”

Atkins loves what he does and the people he does it with. To be a good player on the field and ice, he says he has to put in the work year round. This lifestyle can be challenging, but Atkins says he puts his all into his ath- letics. His teammates aren’t the only ones to take notice of his dedication. Central Knights head goalie coach J.T. Funk also sees the goalie’s potential, and appreciates his hard work as an athlete.

“He is a battler, he’s a grinder when he’s in the net,” Funk said. “He does whatever he can to help the team be successful and help the team win. He’s a hard worker at practice and a great example of what a confident goalie looks like.”