The Freeman Five

Pete Freeman gives us his five tips and tricks that helped him become successful in applying for scholarships.

Photo by Photo provided by Pete Freeman

Hannah Derleth, Copy Editor, Staff Writer

What should someone who is looking to apply for the Lilly scholarship do? Anything they should do to stand out?

Figure out what it is that you’re best at. It doesn’t matter whether it’s be art, public speaking, or solving difficult calculus problems. Do it to the fullest. That’s what I learned from my mentor, Anthony Gioe, who was the last winner at NHS. (class of 2005). He’s now a humor artist in California, doing what he loves, and making money from it. Just remember that there is no one mold for a Lilly scholar– many people with such different personalities win, so don’t think that you don’t necessarily have what it takes– you won’t find out until you try.

How long did the process to apply for the Lilly scholarship take?

Well, the whole process took about five months. I began the application process for the Lilly scholarship in November of last year, and I found out I had won on March 28th.

Would you have done anything differently?

I wouldn’t change a thing about my high school experience. It was as close to perfect as it could’ve possibly been. My biggest insight to how I learn successfully was by failing— and failing big time. I learned everything I need to simply by failing. So don’t get frustrated when you feel like you can’t do something, or when something doesn’t go your way — chances are, it’ll shape you for the better.

Any advice for applying for scholarships in general?

I applied to about fifteen scholarships, all varying in increments. I applied to each with very different methods. One thing that was a constant through all of the application processes was the fact that I had a mentor. It proved to be very helpful when my mentor was a past recipient of the scholarship in question. All you need to do is email them, ask them to meet up with you for coffee, or buy them lunch. By doing little things like

that, you can learn how they became successful in winning the scholarship, and get tips and ideas for your application.

When did you start applying for scholarships?

I started applying September of my senior year, which is, honestly, a bit late in the game. The first scholarship I applied to was the Wells scholarship, which offered a full ride to Indiana University. After I applied for that one, the application process became easier and easier.

THE FREEMAN FIVE

1. Find a mentor who is a past recipient of the scholarship you’re applying for.
2. Do “you” to the fullest.
3. Draft, re-draft, and re-re-draft your essays. Have teachers help you revise them too, if you really want to win.
4. Apply to EVERY scholarship you’re eligible for.
5. Spend time “nerding out” over your scholarship. Whatever you think about most, becomes your identity.