The online home of the Mill Stream and NHS News - Noblesville High School

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Polls

What is your favorite album of 2023?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Order in the Court

Female Mock Trial students are shattering stereotypes in the courtroom
Photo by Aubrey Paul
Members of the Mock Trial team study their case in preparation for their upcoming county competition. In order to place well, team members say that they must dedicate time to practicing their lines and perfecting their roles.

Senior Maitri Patel can’t wait for the school day to end. She breezes through her economics notes, aces her calculus test, and completes her English assignment with ease. She’s just like every other teenager walking the halls of NHS, eagerly waiting for the last bell to ring. But when the school day finally comes to an end, she doesn’t follow her peers out of the school gates; she leaves the classroom for the courtroom. When the clock strikes 3:40, Patel heads to Mock Trial practice, and she’s no longer a student—she’s a lawyer. 

The Mock Trial club at NHS blends the study of law with writing, theater, and debate. Members take on the character of either an attorney or witness, performing their designated roles in various courtrooms across Hamilton County. Mock Trial members say that team practices and competitions allow them to showcase their talents. However, for many female members of the team, it’s much more than a club—it’s a place for women to express themselves.

Mina Vendt, a sophomore on the team, says that her legal journey has not always been easy—primarily because of the way she’s perceived in the courtroom.

“I feel like law can often be seen as a pretty masculine profession, with a lot of media portrayals enforcing this,” Vendt said. “In my personal experience, I find myself making sure that what I say in the courtroom and overall is always measured and sure, since women’s passion and forcefulness can often be misconstrued.”

Despite feeling overwhelmed by stereotypes, Vendt says that the Mock Trial team has become like a second family to her. With the encouragement of her team members, she’s been able to overcome her initial hesitations and display her skills in the courtroom. 

“Our Mock Trial team is made up of a lot of girls, so it’s easy to feel at home,” Vendt said. “It was great coming in last year when so many of the returning attorneys were girls, because it made it really obvious that this was a possibility for everyone.”

Patel, an experienced leader of Mock Trial, shares Vendt’s feelings about the team. She expresses that she and her fellow leaders have worked hard to make Mock Trial an uplifting atmosphere. 

My co-leaders have made a respectful and supportive environment where we can discuss our strengths and weaknesses openly,” Patel said. “All voices are heard.”

English teacher and Mock Trial sponsor Jack Greenwood is responsible for preparing the team for their county competition, which takes place throughout the month of January. According to Greenwood, Mock Trial has progressed throughout the past few years, growing from an initial six students to thirty-five members in the current school year.

We are given a case in October—last year it was murder, this year it’s a major pharmaceutical lawsuit—and we have to map out a victory for both the prosecution and the defense,” Greenwood said. “We all work together to craft opening statements, dramatic testimonies on the stand, and closing arguments. Then we perform the case against rival schools in actual Hamilton County courtrooms in front of real judges.”

Patel has been a member of the team for three years. She says that each meeting is precisely planned out to ensure the team is on track to secure their victory during competition season. 

We dedicate each meeting to specific parts of the legal system, such as opening statements, direct questions, cross questions, or requirements to be an attorney or witness,” Patel said.

Vendt is grateful for the support of leaders like Patel, as well as the guidance of the club’s two personal mentors—Bob Becker and Nate Hacker, attorneys from local law firms. Members of the team receive coaching from these legal gurus to deepen their understanding of the different judiciary processes and vocabulary commonly seen within the courtroom.

We can ask them questions, [and] they help us with our presentation,” Vendt said. “Overall, they help us formulate a good case and make sure we’re comfortable with the court itself.”

Since Hamilton County’s Mock Trial competition first began in 2000, Noblesville’s team has won the first place contest title twice. This year, new and experienced members alike have been laying the groundwork necessary to win big at their upcoming competitions. 

Our program has come a long way,” Greenwood said. “After winning several awards last year, this year we want to win County.”

Patel believes that her confidence in this year’s team is not misplaced. Despite the overwhelming amount of experienced attorneys and witnesses vying for coveted spots on the team, she says that new members have the potential to prove themselves to the group.

“Due to the talented incoming members and seasoned veterans, we have very high hopes this year for Mock Trial,” Patel said. “We [believe] that we can go far into the competition season.”