The online home of the Mill Stream and NHS News - Noblesville High School

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Polls

What is your favorite album of 2023?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Going the Distance

Noblesville senior marches her way to West Point
Photo by Gabby Jellison
Rempe puts on her spikes before her race. She placed first in the Hamilton County Conference Meet, running a 2:14:69 in the 800 meter race.

When students cross the stage for graduation, students who are headed to college have to mentally prepare themselves for another four years of homework, essays, and lectures. But Summer Rempe is following a different path, one that will send her on a five year journey after college graduation.

Rempe committed to West Point Military Academy to run cross country and track in after her standout performances in the 800 meter and 400 meter relay. Along with a strong academic profile, the entry requirements to West Point include medical examinations, physical fitness testing, and a nomination from a congressional representative. These requirements make the application process difficult.

“I started my application half way through my junior year, and I still haven’t finished it, because there is so much to complete. I started the army recruiting process and had to go through the basic enlistment process,” Rempe said.  “From there I had to go through the academic placements and am currently taking entrance exams.”

Head track coach James Pearce has seen Rempe’s career develop during her time competing on Noblesville’s track and cross country teams. Pearce thinks that her commitment began long before she became a freshman in high school

“Summer started running with the Body-In-Training Team in second grade. She’s continued to run since then, and over that timeframe, has learned how to train herself to the highest efficiency,” Pearce said.

The increased demands on athletes moving from high school to college is often challenging. While watching Rempe move through the process of becoming a Division 1 runner, Pearce notes that there are certain traits which have helped her to prepare. 

“[She has] plain determination to be the best – each and every day,” Pearce said. “She does not settle for a finish position. She always reaches for more.”

Rempe’s determination and running experience are not the only things that have helped her prepare for the next level of her sport. In June of 2023, Rempe qualified for Nike Outdoor Nationals in the 800 meter race. 

“It was very different to be at the national level,” Rempe said. “It was a good experience for what to expect in college.”

Assistant cross country coach Alexander Snyder said he has noticed the effort Rempe puts in to continuously get better. 

“She always gets a workout done. Even if she misses a day, she will go and put in the effort whenever she can,” Snyder said.

Junior Riley Flynn has been Rempe’s teammate since Flynn began running her freshman year. She said that during the intense practices they have, Rempe is always able to keep her teammate’s spirits up. 

“She always puts a smile on my face, even during the hardest workouts,” Flynn said. 

Rempe currently holds three individual NHS records and one relay record. She said that these accomplishments legitimize the legacy she’ll leave at Noblesville as she prepares herself to head to West Point. 

Knowing that I have these records proves to myself that I’m more capable than I ever thought I was,” Rempe said. 

Since West Point is a military academy, not many students choose to take this route. Pearce said Rempe has specific reasons why she is interested in the school. 

“She likes the organization and structure as well as the high expectations they set at West Point for cadets,” Pearce said. “I know she will fit in immediately because she can mentally and physically handle a lot of stress.”

But for Rempe, running is not all business. Rempe finds joy in her sport and the competition that comes with it, striving to make each race memorable. 

“I can genuinely say that I have fun with running,” Rempe said. “It’s hard a lot of times, but I don’t care how I race as long as I give my best.”

Part of being successful in a sport means mentoring those around you. Flynn said Rempe has guided her throughout their Miller running careers. 

“She is someone I will always look up to,” Flynn said. “I can’t wait to see her success in the future.”