The online home of the Mill Stream and NHS News - Noblesville High School

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Not Your Average Joe

NHS junior goes to the next level in his baseball career
Glander tries on his Notre Dame uniform for the first time, joining the rank of many notable Notre Dame Baseball alumni, such as outfielder AJ Pollock. Glander will begin pitching for the Fighting Irish during the spring of 2026.

The foreboding gates of The Dunk, the massive high school varsity baseball field, seem to challenge each Little Leaguer as he passes them on his way to the Noblesville Youth Baseball (NYB) facility. Although many NYB players, whose ages range from five to twelve, dream of stepping up to home plate under the lights accompanied by cheers of grandstands full of fans, few find themselves willing and able to answer the field’s call and play Noblesville High School baseball. Even fewer find themselves with the opportunity to go even further.

One of the best former NYB players is junior Joe Glander, a right-handed pitcher and outfielder for the Millers baseball team. As a sophomore pitcher in November of 2022, Glander committed to the University of Notre Dame, one of a few Division I Noblesville baseball commits that season. The following February, doctors discovered a stress fracture in his back, effectively benching him for six months.

“It was a setback, but I got through it,” Glander said. “It was very tough mentally, but I had a lot of family and friends that helped support me through it.”

One of these supporters is Noblesville varsity baseball coach Justin Keever. The Miller head coach believes that this injury and the following physical therapy was beneficial for Glander as a player.

“How he dealt with that adversity, his attitude, and his drive to get back on the field, I believe has made him an even better player,” Keever said.

Glander’s successful recovery took almost six months. After an extensive offseason training regimine with some of the best hitting and pitching coaches in the state, his junior season picked up where his sophomore season had been cut short. Glander’s commitment is what Keever says encouraged him to include the pitcher in the varsity lineup as a sophomore. It’s also one of the reasons why Notre Dame chose to recruit him.

“Joe has an incredible work ethic, committing himself to be the best he can be,” Keever said. ”He is a student of the game and of his development. He is very meticulous and detail-oriented regarding his preparation.”

Glander’s signing with Notre Dame came after fourteen years of development, many of which at were spent at NYB, where he was cheered on by his family, including his mother, Kelly Glander. All of these years came to fruition his sophomore year, when he made the move to The Dunk.

“As a parent we all want to see our kids succeed,” Kelly said. “Joe has always had a goal, for as long as I can remember, to become a D1 athlete. I am so proud of him for accomplishing that goal early on.”

Few high school baseball players, even varsity players, get the opportunity to play at the Division I level, especially at a top-ranked college like Notre Dame. According to the National College Scouting Association, only about 2.6% of all high school baseball players receive the opportunity to play in the highest division. Glander said that this was a huge source of pride for him.

“It was a great sense of accomplishment and excitement that I get to keep playing the sport I love at an even higher level,” said Glander. “It was also a bit of a relief that I got to figure out my college plans so early in high school.”

Aside from all of the achievement, Glander will continue to focus his efforts on playing for his hometown for two more seasons. 

“Joe has a bright future ahead of him,” Keever said. “He works very hard in the classroom, which has opened him up, along with his talent, to a great opportunity at Notre Dame. But, right now, he is focused on being the best he can be for the Millers.”