The online home of the Mill Stream and NHS News - Noblesville High School

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Polls

What is your favorite album of 2023?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Redefining Grace

How one dancer’s passions influence their way of living on and off the stage
Redefining+Grace

In the world of ballet, where the stage often demands strict perfection, one unique dancer is pirouetting against the tide. With a spin toward the audience and her students, senior Cai Cook is not only grabbing attention with their performances, but also their dedication to promoting all forms of optimism around them—specifically body positivity.

Cook began dancing again in 2017, after moving from their hometown of Muncie to Noblesville, Indiana. They became a performer at The Dancin’ Place, home of the White River Ballet company. 

“I started dancing as a little kid at 2-3 years old,” Cook said. “After moving and losing my passion within sports, I started hip-hop and then slowly transferred to ballet.”
From Sleeping Beauty to Cinderella, Cook has involved themself in many different roles, diversifying their choreography skills at their studio, and school theater program.

“I have been in the Nutcracker a number of times, as well as this year’s school musical production of Cinderella and last year’s musical Chicago,” Cook said. “This year I am now starring as the Swan Queen in Swan Lake taking on the role of White Swan (Odette) and Black Swan (Odile).”

After a few years of dancing, Cook was ultimately offered a different kind of responsibility in the company, strengthening their relationship with ballet.

“I got a job offer to teach hip-hop to younger girls,” Cook said. “Hip-hop was never my favorite style of dance, but now I have been teaching my younger girls various techniques while harping on pouring positivity into everything.”

After starting the position in August, Cook made no hesitation to involve themself with their peers and students. Erika Huber, graduate from Barat College, has been paired to work alongside Cook as a Pointe teacher. Huber notices the care they put into their newfound job.

“[Cook] immediately emerged as a caring, compassionate person,” Huber said. “They’re not only teaching these girls dance, but creating spaces for them to process tough emotions in a healthy manner.”

Their desire and outlook on the importance of positivity didn’t appear from nowhere. For Cook, their reasoning is more than personal.

“Seeing myself in distorted mirrors versus the “skinny mirror” on social media was a world of difference,” Cook said. “We can be so hard on ourselves and not realize how different we are really perceived.”

After being a teacher for 8 months, Cook shows no signs of stopping. As a natural born leader, they’ve become crucial to the success of their students, which is recognized by Huber.

“Cook is always leading by example,” Huber said. “They’re honest with themselves, and model coping mechanisms for processing emotions. This is so important to have people you admire share how to persevere.”

While Ballet is an essential part of Cook’s life, it’s one of the many inspirations in their rewarding future. With a future goal majoring in Political Science, Cook plans on attending Ball State University in order to make a difference in their community.

“It will always be a dream to dance professionally but I don’t see it being in the cards for me,” Cook said. “I’m extremely passionate about so many things, sometimes I have to pick and choose. My ultimate goal is to ensure the rights of everyone within the U.S. and continue to support anyone who needs it in their endeavors.”

Even with the possible barriers, Cook remains strong, and shows an unending amount of determination to change the toxic nature of being a ballet dancer. 

”I have always found my home within ballet,” Cook said. “Through bullying and self doubt, those ballet barres and teachers were always there for me, so I want them to know that I am here for them and ballet is too.”