Mock Trial argues their case

Photo by Photo provided by Paul Sherek

Both NHS mock trial teams pose for a picture in a county courtroom. The student lawyers and witnesses have been preparing for the weekly competitions and the tournament in February.

Sarah Reilly, Opinions Editor and Staff Writer

Junior Alyse Millikan questions a witness. This year is Millikan's first year on the team and as a lawyer.
Photo by S. Reilly
Junior Alyse Millikan questions a witness. This year is Millikan’s first year on the team and as a lawyer.

Public speaking, challenging questions, and arguing cases.

Mock Trial is a winter club designed to prepare students in public speaking, improvisation and the U.S. judicial system.

Each year, students read and dissect a new case, and then argue their a side head-to-head against other schools in Hamilton County and the County Courthouse on Wednesdays.

From murders to lawsuits to perjury, students are challenged to think on their feet in the face of unyielding witnesses and surprising questions.

“The attorneys have to think on their feet during the trial,” team sponsor business teacher Mr. Rich Harden said. “The witnesses have to react and respond to questions they may not have heard before and answer according to their role.”

Students enjoy the challenge and the experience they gain from the club.

“I do Mock Trial because it’s fun…I want to be a lawyer, so it really helps me explore what it’s like,” junior Alyse Millikan, a lawyer on the team, said.

NHS has two teams, both of which have two weeks of competition under their belts. With the February 21 tournament approaching, all of the student lawyers and witnesses continue to work hard, preparing themselves for the final competition.