Senior night pins for success

Seniors Mat Smith, Derrick Noon, Jack Wishart, Ricardo Ibanez, Max Ehemann and Stephan Kitko take the mat with parents on their last home meet of their high school career.

Quinn Schlegel, Editor in Chief

The crowd is filled with pink shirts to support cancer awareness and parents watch eagerly to see their young men take the mat for their last home meet of their high school career. January 2 the Miller varsity wrestling team took on the Tipton high school Blue Devils. For seniors Stephan Kitko, Max Ehemann, Jack Wishart, Matt Smith, Ricardo Ibanez and Derrick Noon it was a night to remember. “It was exciting, and nostalgic.” Wishart said. Wishart won by forfeit of Tipton. Although unable to wrestle due to lack of players on Tipton’s team, Wishart still held his head high and waved to his mother and father in the bleachers as he stepped onto the mat full of pride. He was completely amazed at how the years had moved so quickly on him.

“Wrestling with these guys you build a lot of good friendships and relationships, and we are definitely going to miss it when it’s all over.” Wishart said.

Joining Wishart with a win

Quinn Schlegel
Senior Derrick noon pins his competition in under four minutes to increase his teams lead against the Tiption Blue Devils

Senior Matt Smith highlighted his night with pinning his opponent. Later on in the night senior Derrick Noon increased his record to 31-1 in the 152 lbs weight class. Noon having the best record on the team had another exceptional night with a pin to defeat his Blue Devil competitor in just under four minutes. His mental attitude towards winning so much and this year’s success has been, “Never expecting to lose.”

“I have gone in with a different drive this year, it’s my last year of wrestling on this team in high school, and so I am going in expecting to win every single time, you have to make it count.” Noon said.

Seniors Max Ehemann and Stephan Kitko both won by forfeit as well due to the lack of Tipton wrestlers, but their night was just as good putting points up for the team, and getting to walk with their parents arm in arm carrying flowers and shaking the hands of their coaches Mr. Tom Knotts, and Tony Crist who have been influential in their four years of wrestling in high school.

The teams record is 11-9 with only 6 meets remaining in the regular season, before the post season begins. The next meet is the 28th and will be held at North Central. The boys look to increase their lead, and bounce back and get better within their own conference to wrap up the season on a high note.