Artists color the community

Collier Wright, Staff Writer

The Art Department, in the wake of three successful art shows, has more shows up its sleeve to not only improve the craft of student artists, but Noblesville as a whole.

This school year is the first in which the Art Department has attempted to put together anything like monthly art shows. The next is slated for Friday, February 6. Following the theme of community involvement, the gallery will be taking place at Asian Grill on the Square. According to Kayti Hahn, 3-D Art teacher, this focus and dedication to the community of Noblesville that is at the heart of each of the shows.

The Art Department at NHS could have displayed student art at the high school, with much less scheduling trouble. However, Hahn pushes for the shows to have new homes among Noblesville every month.

“It’s about getting the community involved in the arts and [the students] involved in the community,” Hahn said. “It’s a win-win for everyone.”

IMG_2791newThe art shows have not only given the students vital feedback and experience in their artistic field, but attracted people to the unique businesses around town.

“The hardest part for young artists is the business side of things,” Ailithir McGill, director of Nickel Plate Arts, said.

And the “business side” is exactly what the art show seek to expose students to. Hahn strives to give students real life experience that would prove to be instrumental to artists; the proper way to present artwork, receiving criticism and the booking procedure.

Beyond the eventual payoff, the positive effects of having their work on display are already evident. Junior Melissa Baker points out the competition that it brings out of the artists.

“All of our artists are so great that it really takes a good work of art to be chosen for the show,” Baker said. “The art shows motivate me to put everything I can into each of my pieces.”

As the art shows gain a following in the community, artists find motivation in the recognition of their hard work.

“Hearing [people] talk about [my art] gives me confidence,” junior Emma Paris said. “It makes me want keep doing it.”

Mill Stream editor Garret McNally contributed to this story.

Photos provided by Kayti Hahn