Art, community blend

Sculptures from NHS art students line tables, providing depth that the pictures and paintings cannot. The local art shows allow art students to put their talent on display for the community.

Photo by Sarah Reilly

Collier Wright and Sarah Reilly

A dimly lit room smelling of the hanging peanut oil fumes contained lines of people taking in the display. Milling about at the top of the stairs, more folks hurried in to also get a look. What was the spectacle the sardined people perused? Fine art.

On Friday, Feb. 6, Asian Grill hosted the most recent entry in the series of of art shows curated by the NHS art department. The art shows have been held on the first Friday of every month since November 2014, each held at a different location in the Noblesville and each with a community theme. This show donned the theme of local restaurants.

“We wanted a mutually beneficial relationship,” Kayti Hahn, art teacher and curator of the art shows, said. “We got exposure and a place to display the art and Asian Grill gains business from art show visitors.”

January to Valentine’s Day is a slow season for business at the local Noblesville Square restaurant. Hahn said she consciously chose to have the show during this time to help the establishment.

“It’s about getting the community involved in the arts and [the students] involved in the community,” Hahn said. “It’s a win-win for everyone.”

Beyond the establishment of arts in the community, the art show initiative harbors a few more goals.

“It’s important [for student artists] to get as much real life experience as possible,” Hahn said. “[And], it’s important to house their voice. It is their moment to shine.”

With the display of her photo of a daisy, sophomore Rebecca Storey utilized the chance to express her voice with positive effects.

“It makes me feel really proud about [my art],” Storey said. “It’s a different way to express myself.”
Being involved in the art show helped sophomore Ethan Wilcoxen hone his craft.

“I like to be inspired by the cool art of my peers, ” Wilcoxen said.

While not all student artists were able to exhibit this art at this art show, they will get another chance at the Noblesville Schools Learning Showcase, Mar. 11. Though the show will be held at NHS, the theme of community will still be upheld with the display of pieces from Noblesville students from all grades of students, kindergarteners through seniors. On top of the art, a few art students have been working hard on an installation encompassing the themes of involved education, education focusing on engaging, inspiring and empowering students, rather than the traditional lecture-based style.

“It’s art by students, for students,” Hahn said.

For all art related news, keep an eye on Miller Media Now.