Showing what you know

Photo by Collier Wright

Students in the art department perform in the “This is YOUR Voice” installation. Student artists worked on the plaster person for 2 months and the background for one month.

Collier Wright, Staff Writer

Last Wednesday evening, the characteristically empty cafeterias were filled to the brim with art, robots, musical and theatre performances and the technological advances in education of the entire district.

On March 11, NHS hosted the second annual Miller Shift Learning Showcase. The event consisted of over 70 interactive displays from every school in the district. It attracted about 1,000 members of the community.

The Innovative Teachers of  the Year pose with their respective principal. Top row (left to right): Pat Haney, Karen Carter, Ryan Rich and Jeff Bryant. Bottom row (left to right): Jessica Homan, Lauren Caldwell, Kelly Geisleman, Kayti Hahn.
Collier Wright
The Innovative Teachers of the Year pose with their respective principal. Top row (left to right): Pat Haney, Karen Carter, Ryan Rich and Jeff Bryant.
Bottom row (left to right): Jessica Homan, Lauren Caldwell, Kelly Geisleman, Kayti Hahn.

In tandem with the maze of displays was the naming of Innovative Teacher of the Year, an award given to teachers who consistently engage students in new ways to educate deeper and more relevantly, applying the Miller Shift education mindset. Four awards were given, divided into the academic levels grades K-2, grades 3-5, grades 6-8 and grades 9-12. The winners were Lauren Caldwell, Jessica Homan, Kelly Geisleman and Kayti Hahn.

“This year has been an amazing ride with such awesome student artists, and to receive this award was very humbling since it is the students that are the true advocates and winners,” Hahn said. All recipients were given trophies laser etched by Noblesville engineering students and a professional development grant of $250.

Technology was a big focus of the night. Booths exhibited the functionality of Noblesville Schools’ 1:1 technology policy, as well as student developed code and robots, crafted and controlled by students. Engineering students displayed their physical creations as well as work in digital drafting programs.

The art department was at the Showcase in full force as well, putting together one of the biggest collections displayed all year. While a fair amount of high schooler art was present, a selection of art was also pulled from every other school in the district. Finally, the NHS art department tread new ground by putting on a live performance installation titled “This is YOUR Voice”, which symbolized the transition from traditional lecture based teaching to the Miller Shift approach to education. In a mock classroom, led by a plaster proctor, students worked on tests until, one by one, they began to rise from their desks to don colorful shirts with “Engage”, “Inspire”, or “Empower” printed on the back and finger paint the artificial teacher.

The theatre classes had a presence in the form of various performances, ranging from emotional tales to comical skits. The amalgamation of student work was quite large but no group could be left out.

“It allows students to show what they know,” NHS principal Jeff Bryant said.

Whilst working at the photography booth, taking professional photos and editing them in front of passersby, Sophomore Meredith Higgins realized the importance of showing off this way.

Student artist put the final touches on the "This is YOUR Voice" installation. The plaster person took 2 months to make and the background took 1 month to construct.
Collier Wright
Student artist put the final touches on the “This is YOUR Voice” installation. The plaster person took 2 months to make and the background took 1 month to construct.

“It made me proud of what I’ve learned in class,” Higgins said. “Seeing other people confused by the things I’ve mastered and understand gives me that pride.”